Xbase++ and Windows 7 64 bit do not work together

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
dougtanner

Xbase++ and Windows 7 64 bit do not work together

#1 Post by dougtanner »

I am successfully running Xbase++ applications compiled with Xbase++ 1.90.355 Apr 9, 2009. All compiled on a Windows XP machine. My company wants to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit. However, when I compile my applications on the Windows 7 machine they do not run. They also give me a "Possible DLL version conflict" with XPPDBG. I see there are hot fixes for windows 7. Which of these hot fixes should I apply to Xbase++? Is there really a DLL version error? The xBase++ DLLs are on our server and the same that were used with Windows XP.

Thanks for any help.
Doug

RDalzell

Re: Xbase++ and Windows 7 64 bit do not work together

#2 Post by RDalzell »

Doug,

I develop and have many systems operating on the Win7 64 bit OS. Often is the case where you have multiple versions of the dlls and the incorrect version is is your path.

Use Chk4Dll.Exe to locate dll called and locations.

Check your installation, paths and worst case copy the latest and greatest dll's into your application directory to verify the operation.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#3 Post by rdonnay »

Here is Chk4Dll.
Attachments
chk4dll.zip
(22.63 KiB) Downloaded 807 times
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Auge_Ohr

#4 Post by Auge_Ohr »

dougtanner wrote:I am successfully running Xbase++ applications compiled with Xbase++ 1.90.355 Apr 9, 2009.
All compiled on a Windows XP machine. My company wants to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit.
if your Company change "ALL old" XP OS() to Win7 it is -> OK,
but if they just want include "some new" Win7 PC into existing XP / W2K3 Netzwork -> NO !!!

mix up XP and Win7 will give a lot of Problem in Network
dougtanner wrote:However, when I compile my applications on the Windows 7 machine they do not run.
a.) recompile on "local" Win7 PC

b.) where is your Source when compile ( Server or Local ) ?
when run over Network under Win7 you need a "spezial" PBuild.EXE ( not a Hotfix) from Alaska

c.) are Workstation / Server Time realy "sync" ?
PBuild will not run correct if Server Time is different to Workstation Time

dougtanner wrote:They also give me a "Possible DLL version conflict" with XPPDBG. I see there are hot fixes for windows 7.
Which of these hot fixes should I apply to Xbase++? Is there really a DLL version error?
i do not use XPPDBG.EXE ... i use VX20.EXE as Debugger ;)

Code: Select all

VX20.EXE MyXbaseApp.EXE
dougtanner wrote:The xBase++ DLLs are on our server and the same that were used with Windows XP.
so Xbase++ DLL are in same Directory as Xbase++ EXE ?

if Workstation have Xbase++ Setting in Environment AND work "from Server" your Path might look like this

Code: Select all

C:\WINDOWS\system32; ... C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\BIN;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\LIB; ... Path-Server
so you might load DLL from wrong Directory. try XPPLOAD.EXE to "see" which DLL are load.

did you use any "temporary" Files e.g. Create Index, Sort etc. ? how do you handle it "on Server" with Multi-User ?
i personal do NOT run Xbase++ "from Server", allways from Workstation so i do not have to load Data AND Application over Network.
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

dougtanner

#5 Post by dougtanner »

Thanks for all the help.

Roger and RDalzel. I downloaded Chk4Dll and there were no issues. I have only run one version of xBase++ since I started in November of 2011. The DLLs are installed at one location on the server and pointed to by a "Set Path" statement

Auge_Ohr. We must have a totally different application collection than you. I have over 6 million lines of source broken up into 16 major applications and 400 small applications/utilities. It would be a nightmare for me to maintain applications installed on a 100 workstations. At least one application is updated daily with changes. What I do is have the main program check the date/time of the .exe on the server and copy the .exe down to a directory on the workstation if the .exe is newer. Like You said, the target application is run on the workstation. Temp files are on the workstation. That way I can update programs with out getting users out of the application. Most of the changes don't affect all users. Any application can and is run on any workstation. Both Win 7 and XP workstations is my reality. I am trying the Alaska Linker fixes for Win 7 now.

You said. "i use VX20.EXE as Debugger" - I hate XPPDBG! Roger's WTF and a dot prompt are what I try to use but sometime I must use XPPDBG to step through the program. Where can I get "VX20"?

Thanks for all you help.
Doug