Hanover

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
RDalzell

Hanover

#1 Post by RDalzell »

Does anybody know how the 2012 Hanover DevCon was?

bwolfsohn

Re: Hanover

#2 Post by bwolfsohn »

I got an email from roger earlier in the week...

something about (too much) very good beer, and very poor internet access...

that's all i know..

Brian
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

skiman

#3 Post by skiman »

Hi,

You can add too less sleep, terrible piano but with Bobby as a wonderfull player this didn't matter, lot of food and free drinks with following result in the morning :doh: , ...

Also interesting sessions, lot of SQL information, a little ownerdrawing (most from eXPress++), ...

Alaska had a lot of sessions concerning the upcoming 2.0. It looks promising. Their main goal is now to get 2.0 out as soon as possible. Looking forward to it. Meanwhile we can play with Postgresql.

I found it an interesting devcon and came home with some new ideas. I'm also happy which what I have seen from Alaska for the near future.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Tom

#4 Post by Tom »

It's Hannover. With a second "n". ;)

Although Alaska didn't finish version 2.0, which was the promise for the DevCon six or seven month ago, they showed a lot and even presented a limited "DevCon build", which contains about 80 percent of what will be in there - in fall 2012, as they said. Xbase++ 2.0 will be a tremdendous step from 1.9, not only containing all that SQL stuff (from "native" use with the new DBE up to SQL for arrays and workareas), CXP (a technique to create dynamic web applications), the new "DataObject"-approach and lots more, but a complete redesign of some core functionalities.

It was a DevCon to learn things, from ownerdrawing to SQL. Some sessions were funny, some were very theoretically, most of them were interesting, and the best ones were hostet by Roger. ;)
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Wolfgang Ciriack

#5 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

Hi Tom,
It's Hannover. With a second "n". ;)
there you are wrong, it is only in german "Hannover" in english "Hanover".

rdonnay
Site Admin

#6 Post by rdonnay »

After 4 flights in 24 hours of travelling, I'm finally awake after 15 hours of sleep. Sorry for taking so long to get into this discussion.

I had a great time in Hannover. Bobby Drakos and I flew there together from New York via Munchen.
We Americans should respect the proper spelling of German cities.
We would not like it if they thought that New Hampshire should be spelled Nue Hamsure.

Many of you knew that I was not looking forward to this Devcon. I anticipated that it would be a waste of time and money.
I was wrong. The organizers did a great job and Alaska's participation was first class and much appreciated.
It was also a great party with great food. Bobby ruined another piano and the rest of us ruined our vocal chords.

Steffen and Andreas sang "Yellow Submarine", then they actually said that they didn't know how to translate it to German.
It seemed obvious to me, and I don't speak German: "Das Yellow Boot". Andreas does excellent interpretations of Arnold Schwarzenegger and I asked him to perform as Arnold. He said that he tried to do so while in the shower and told me that it is impossible. I refuse to accept the word impossible and so I am challenging him to practice, practice, practice before the next Devcon.

I really liked what I saw with the new database improvements and CXP. Steffen said that there is much more new code in the upcoming 2.0 release than anything they have done before. It was obvious that this is true from what was shown to us and it helps to explain why it has taken so long. As many of you know, I have always been a strong supporter of Steffen's visions for Xbase++ going back to 1998 when I first started working with it. Over the years, he has resisted incorporating features into Xbase++ that would not support his vision of a product that could be maintained, supported and lead us into the future. I have always said that Alaska is a technology-driven company, not a marketing-driven company. He is about to prove this again. We have all been frustrated because of the amount of time it is taking Alaska to finish the Arctica project. I too have to admit that I was about to lose the faith, for several reasons, but now I feel that there is blood flowing in my veins again and I am ready to commit myself to this grand vision of the future of Xbase++.

To me, it's all about the community and the people. If we can keep our community together, we have a great future. I saw things in Xbase++ 2.0 that are likely to strengthen and enlarge our community, especially in the area of web development. I will be talking about this in the BB forums in the coming weeks and months.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

RDalzell

#7 Post by RDalzell »

Tom and All,

Apologies, for the incorrect spelling, Hannover it is and will be.

Glad to hear that things went well. I would have expected that to be the case with Martin in the mix.

Especially glad to hear of the progress, I hope that the proposed delivery date does not continue to slide. While I understand delays and technology, I believe that we certainly would have diffficulty in retaining customers if our software delivery promises were as often and as delayed as those demonstrated by Alaska. While I am thankful of the software which Alaska has already provided, when you charge an annual maintenance fee with promises attached and not delivered and continue charging for future promises, it is certainly not the best practice. I know that had I followed a like business practice, I would not have those customers today.

Looking to move forward in the future, hopefully (early) 2013 will be the year.

Best regards,
Rick