Internal data structures corrupted

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
skiman

Re: Internal data structures corrupted

#11 Post by skiman »

Hi,

As Jimmy said, using scopes is a must, the speed is a big difference.

As I understand the way you ware working, it will slow down a lot. If your database will grow, it won't probably not acceptable for your users. On the long term an extra index will be the best solution. With this index you can set your scopes.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

BruceN

#12 Post by BruceN »

I understand what you are saying, but that will be a nightmare. there are over 500 dbsetorder commands. About half of them are when a file is opened the rest changing the order once it is open.

As I understand it, I'd have to modify each index to include the filtered field - and it needs to be at the beginning of the index key. That also means every dbseek has to be modified (I'd guess there are close to 1,000 of them).

I admit we are trying to retro fit stuff into existing code and there are compromises that need to be made. But I'm not sure what the best compromise is.

If there was a way to set a scope without having the field in the index key - or to have an index key to scope on, then be able to change indexes without losing the scope.. it could be done without MAJOR changes. (And have that scoping be faster than a filter). But to the best of my (limited) knowledge... thats' not the case.
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

skiman

#13 Post by skiman »

Hi,

It all depends of the number of records in your databases. Do a test and see what happens if your data grows. If the speed is acceptable, you can use filters, otherwise you will need to modify your indexes sooner or later.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be