creating RES files with win 7

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
BruceN

creating RES files with win 7

#1 Post by BruceN »

In working on the number pad and key pad I had to recreate the touchscr.res file multiple times. I could not get it to work in Win 7, I had to go back to my XP boot to create the file (xbase 335 and express 244).

Is there a way to run ARC in win 7 to create the RES fles, or do I need to keep an XP boot handy for that?

thanks
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

Koverhage

Re: creating RES files with win 7

#2 Post by Koverhage »

Bruce,

i have no problem to create res files on win 7 computers.
Do you get an error code ?
Klaus

BruceN

#3 Post by BruceN »

error: could not start preprocessor , 0S error 2

I have (or think i do) the exact same config (pathing, evnviromental variables) in xp and win 7 boots.
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

Auge_Ohr

#4 Post by Auge_Ohr »

BruceN wrote:error: could not start preprocessor , 0S error 2
hm ... OS Error 2 "ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND" The system cannot find the file specified.

sometimes it meen that he can not find *.RES ... so i put a "Dummy" into Directory and use Pbuild -a
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

BruceN

#5 Post by BruceN »

tried that.. get same error. Checked where xrc.exe was (in xppw32\bin) and that IS in the path. I tried hard pathing the ARC call (c:\alaska\xppw32\bin\arc touchscr) - same error. I treid copying the .arc and .ch files into the c:\alaska\xppw32\bin folder - same error.

hmmmmm

RDalzell

#6 Post by RDalzell »

Bruce,

Win/7 Pro 64 bit works fine here.

Would you want to post your .Arc file to review?

Perhaps you are including another .ch with an incorrect drive/path?

Rick

BruceN

#7 Post by BruceN »

files are included in the keypad/numpad for touchscreen I posted. Before workin on this, the last RES file I created was before getting a win 7 boot set up. For the tochscreen I had to recreate the RES file numerous times. Had to go back to working on xp boot to do that project.

I have a dual boot on both my machines (desktop and notebook). I keep all data and working files on D drive. OS and programs are on C, nothing else. So whichever boot I use (xp or 7) I'm accessing the same files (PRG, CH, etc.) Have prob on both machines under 7, both work fine with xp. (As an aside, once c drive is set with all progams, I shrink partition, then image it, and re-expand it to normal size. That way, if something gets trashed, I can easily restore OS ands programs with little work. Can't tell you how many times I've had to do that on kids computers from the games they play on line, and a few times on mine.)

I even copied my whole alaska and exp19 folders from one boot to the other to make sure there weren't any differences in files.

There are times I REALLY hate computers... maybe I should go back to teaching high school math and physics... oh wait, have you seen the kids in school today - forget that thought :lol:

bruce

RDalzell

#8 Post by RDalzell »

Bruce,

I use Acronis to image systems, at work we have 100 laptops (3 different flavors) and 125 desktop system (10 different flavors) and when deploying the system (or imaging from a clone) it certainly makes life a lot easier.

Works even when cloning a new system drive from a system with a different chipset

Use the images for my home systems as well just in case...

Rick

BruceN

#9 Post by BruceN »

My win7/xp notebook decided to give up the ghost after 4 1/2 years of yeoman service. new notebook is 64 bit with win7. Now I don't have anything with xp on it and can't make RES files. This is going to be a real problem soon.

I couldn't install xbase on my notebook from disk ( get msg version of file i'm trying to run is not compatable with my version of windows). So I copied whole alaska and exp19 folders from old hard dive. Looked at all the enviromental variables and manually set them the same. I can compile and everything appears to work except the ARC EXPRESS which gives the 'could not atart preprocessor , os error 2' - which I get on every win7 computer I've tried it on.

Could I have overlooked an enviroinmental variable? below is list from SET which gives all of them. Any thoughts???

ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=PALADIN
ComSpec=C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe;c:\exp19\include
configsetroot=C:\windows\ConfigSetRoot
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\me
include=C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\INCLUDE;C:\ALASKA\XBTW32\INCLUDE;c:\exp19\include
LenovoTestLogFile=preload.log
LenovoTestPath=C:\prdv10\
lib=C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\LIB;C:\ALASKA\XBTW32\LIB;c:\exp19\lib
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\me\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\PALADIN
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=4
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\BIN;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\LIB;C:\ALASKA\XBTW32\LIB;c:\exp19\bin19_sl1;c:\exp19\bin19;c:\exp19\bin
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=2a07
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PSModulePath=C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\windows
TEMP=C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp
USERDOMAIN=paladin
USERNAME=me
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\me
windir=C:\windows
windows_tracing_flags=3
windows_tracing_logfile=C:\BVTBin\Tests\installpackage\csilogfile.log
XPPRESOURC=C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\BITMAP;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\ICON;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\FONT;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\POINTER
XPPROOT=C:\ALASKA\XPPW32

RDalzell

#10 Post by RDalzell »

XPPRESOURC

Should be

XPPRESOURCE