dbappend() problem on Windows7 shared drive.

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
Markus Walter

Re: dbappend() problem on Windows7 shared drive.

#31 Post by Markus Walter »

Auge_Ohr wrote:
Markus Walter wrote:i can't confirm this. I had at least 2 customer sites with "pure" SMB2 (one p2p-Win7 and one with Win2008R2-Server and Win7 clients) where i had a lot of trouble with defect indexes. After switch off SMB2, all was okay...
i did have warn you, turn off SMB2 is NOT a Option !!!
It was the only working solution! And so i can't confirme your statement, that all is okay using SMB2 in a pure SMB2-enviroment.
-----------------
Greetings
Markus Walter

bwolfsohn

#32 Post by bwolfsohn »

Auge_Ohr wrote:
Markus Walter wrote:i can't confirm this. I had at least 2 customer sites with "pure" SMB2 (one p2p-Win7 and one with Win2008R2-Server and Win7 clients) where i had a lot of trouble with defect indexes. After switch off SMB2, all was okay...
i did have warn you, turn off SMB2 is NOT a Option !!!
we've had many of the same problems as have been mentioned. We've turned off smb2 with good results. That, along with all the other hodge-podge of registry entries seems to have solved the problems, even in difficult situations.

Brian
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

Auge_Ohr

#33 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,

i hope you both remember that SMB is not only "Drives", it is all "share" include Printer and NAS.

so a NAS, using SMB1/CIFS, will make same like a XP Workstation.
even a Network Printer, with Network Card and SMB, will do the same.

so "old" Hardware in a Vista / Win7 / Srv 2008 will make Problem

beleave me or not, it is NOT recommend to turn off SMB2 !!!

Registry setting rules, while Hotfix come and go
here you find setting for Workstation http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102981
and this are for Server Part 1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102967
and Part 2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102969/DE/
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Markus Walter

#34 Post by Markus Walter »

Auge_Ohr wrote:hi,
i hope you both remember that SMB is not only "Drives", it is all "share" include Printer and NAS.

so a NAS, using SMB1/CIFS, will make same like a XP Workstation.
even a Network Printer, with Network Card and SMB, will do the same.
I know that.
Auge_Ohr wrote: so "old" Hardware in a Vista / Win7 / Srv 2008 will make Problem

beleave me or not, it is NOT recommend to turn off SMB2 !!!
And why should "old" hardware making problems?
First: Our customers will not install Win7 at "old" hardware. They get win7 with a new pc.
Second: If the user uses other "old" hardware in his network (a NAS or another pc with XP) the new pc (win7) has to work with smb1, because his "partner" (the "old" hardware) force him to speak with him "smb1".
I still can't understand your statements.

It may be, that some new functions in Win7/Office2010 need smb2, but for me (and my customers) it's important that my application works without problems (and does not make several problems a one day!). I hope that the hotfix is a solution for the problems that we have with SMB2. If it is, i will stop to switch off SMB2.
-----------------
Greetings
Markus Walter

Auge_Ohr

#35 Post by Auge_Ohr »

Markus Walter wrote:And why should "old" hardware making problems?
First: Our customers will not install Win7 at "old" hardware. They get win7 with a new pc.
Netzwork is more than a PC.
What about your Cable (CAT5 -> CAT7) or your Switch ? did you look at Resource Monitor how many Collision ?
new Network Card most can use "bigger" Frames, but only if Cable and Switch can work with it.

so using "new" Hardware with Win7 in a "old" Network is like a Porsche using 91 ROZ instead of 98 ROZ and 185/40 instead of 285/40 Tyres
Markus Walter wrote:Second: If the user uses other "old" hardware in his network (a NAS or another pc with XP) the new pc (win7) has to work with smb1, because his "partner" (the "old" hardware) force him to speak with him "smb1".
right, but than not SMB2.
Markus Walter wrote:I still can't understand your statements.
Win7 can use SMB1 or SMB2, but not both at same Time
Markus Walter wrote:It may be, that some new functions in Win7/Office2010 need smb2, but for me (and my customers) it's important that my application works without problems (and does not make several problems a one day!).
Excel, Word or Outlook are normal Application used in many Office, so if your Xbase++ Application is the only one, you have a lot of luck.
Markus Walter wrote: I hope that the hotfix is a solution for the problems that we have with SMB2. If it is, i will stop to switch off SMB2.
you still not understand that the "new" Rediretor does the same as the Registry settings.

It does work, but Windows 7 Service Pack 1 have a "other" Version, so next Year at Release it will "override" the Patch and than your Problem appear again an you can not "downgrade" it.
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Markus Walter

#36 Post by Markus Walter »

Auge_Ohr wrote:you still not understand that the "new" Rediretor does the same as the Registry settings.
I unterstand the kb-article in that way, that there is a new Mrxsmb20.sys. That seems me to be more than only setting some regkeys...
Auge_Ohr wrote:It does work, but Windows 7 Service Pack 1 have a "other" Version, so next Year at Release it will "override" the Patch and than your Problem appear again an you can not "downgrade" it.
Di you really mean, that this hotfix will not be part of SP1?

Greetings
Markus
-----------------
Greetings
Markus Walter

Auge_Ohr

#37 Post by Auge_Ohr »

Auge_Ohr wrote:It does work, but Windows 7 Service Pack 1 have a "other" Version, so next Year at Release it will "override" the Patch and than your Problem appear again an you can not "downgrade" it.
Di you really mean, that this hotfix will not be part of SP1?
i have compare diffent MRxSMB20.sys Version, try it yourself
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/eval ... 83870.aspx
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Wolfgang Ciriack

#38 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

Steffen and Andreas have posted a statement in the data-access newsgroup of Alaska to that subject.

bwolfsohn

#39 Post by bwolfsohn »

Wolfgang Ciriack wrote:Steffen and Andreas have posted a statement in the data-access newsgroup of Alaska to that subject.
Wolfgang, thanks for the heads up...

We don't get much information from the powers that be at alaska, but in this case, the info is excellent and help give us a clearer approach to this problem..

Brian
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

ofelena

#40 Post by ofelena »

How to reinstall windows 7 to a acer laptop? My acer laptop hasnt been working lately. It won't get past the booting screen. When it goes into startup repair it says itll take an hour but its been 4 days now so my only option is reinstalling windows 7. But the laptop doesnt have a cd drive and i dont have the windows 7 cd. Any solution?