dbappend() problem on Windows7 shared drive.

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
Auge_Ohr

Re: dbappend() problem on Windows7 shared drive.

#21 Post by Auge_Ohr »

skiman wrote:We don't sell hardware, and we have no control on the systems our customers uses. We have a commercial application, and this should work on every Windows network.
this is a general Problem of File based System using modern OS().
2 Years ago when Windows 7 "official beta" start there a a lot of big Company ask for "downgrade" there "new" Hardware while they use "old" Software.

"old" Software, like File based System, are design for Intranet, but "modern" Software can use Data in a Cloud over Internet.
skiman wrote:So version of Windows, way the network is setup are things I can't control. I even don't know how this is done on our own network. This is also done by an external technicien.
so you do not have Administrator Rights ?
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

skiman

#22 Post by skiman »

Jimmy,

Yes, in 24 hours I can say it is a solution for us.

If every test we did Wednesday failed, and after installing the hotfixes on 7 PC's (one by one) and after another 15 tests with different combination on our network, the test always succeeded. At that point I believe this is a solution.

Everyone can do with this info what he/she wants. I don't believe the registry settings solution, because it didn't work on our system. And don't tell 'yes, but maybe you didn't ....'. I'm not a hardware guy, and I don't have control about my customers systems. On some of them I even have no rights to change their registry settings.

Now, I can say, look at the support site of Microsoft. You have to install that, otherwise it won't work. This is something my customers understand, because they can read that Microsoft found this could be a problem. Tweaking the registry gives my customers the feeling that I'm doing something strange. If they have another problem afterwards, that has nothing to do with it, they will look in my direction, just because I did something.

Now, I will send the URL with the hotfix to their administrator with the message to install it. If the system blows up at that time, they can blame Microsoft. :hand:
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Auge_Ohr

#23 Post by Auge_Ohr »

skiman wrote:On some of them I even have no rights to change their registry settings.
what Installer do you use ?
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Auge_Ohr

#24 Post by Auge_Ohr »

skiman wrote: instead of the registry settings for the oplocking
have compare Hotfix with SP1 and it seems the same.
what it does : FileInfoCacheLifetime and FileNotFoundCacheLifetime both DWORD 0

while Andreas is point to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspxyou might look for DirectoryCacheLifetime, which was not set in my Registry, if you "change" Directory to your Data.
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

BruceN

#25 Post by BruceN »

I find this whole thread fascinating (and a bit frightening)... even though I only understand a fraction of it.

Let me try to summarize my understanding and please let me know if I have the grasped the key points:

If using Win 7 computer as a file server (with others reading and writing to the data files on the 7 machine), when 2 people have the same file open and do a dbappend() in close proximity - the second append really isn't executed and it overwrites the data from the first append. The upchuck of this is that the first append appears to never have happened. No error occurs, data merely disappears into that great bit bucket in the sky.

Mickeysoft has acknowledged the issue and has a hotfix (which I have downloaded and saved) that corrects this problem. It does so by basically forcing writes to occur inmmediately so there can be no confusion from stuff in a cache. The hotfix needs to be run on every computer running win 7 on the network that writes to the file server.

If the file server is running XP this problem does not happen. If the workstation is running XP it doesn't happen. It is only an issue with 7 on the file server and 7 on the workstation.

Do I have it?

thanks.
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

Wolfgang Ciriack

#26 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

I think, it is not only Win7, the same is for Windows Vista Clients.

BruceN

#27 Post by BruceN »

thanks for the addendum... but I don't consider vista an operating system. I think of it as mickeysoft's version of 'new coke'. We advise out users that vista is nOT recommended.
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

Auge_Ohr

#28 Post by Auge_Ohr »

BruceN wrote:If using Win 7 computer as a file server ...
If the file server is running XP this problem does not happen.
If the workstation is running XP it doesn't happen. It is only an issue with 7 on the file server and 7 on the workstation.
Do I have it?
we talk about P2P, it does not happend with "real" Server 2008.

in "general" we do have Ops Lock since Windows NT, where Alaska 1st "Ops locking" Paper is pointing to.
all is about Lanmanager using SMB (Server Message Block) between Server and Workstation.

File based Application, like Xbase ( all Version), working on Workstation might have Problem with
"Ops Lock 2d Cache Level" so not all Data are transmitt or commit by Server so your Data / Index
can be corrupt.

XP SP2 Redirector have default Ops Lock Value so in normal case it shoud work.
if not Registry Key are still the same, so setting Ops Locking manual will override Windows settings.

Now with Vista / Windows 7 / Server 2008 (same Core-Kernel) Network have a "new" Definition.
it does include "worldwide" Internet while Lanmanager is for "local" Network which still exist.

You need a new Right Management for SMB --- SMB2

when using Vista SP2-Win7 or Win7-Win7 they wil use SMB2 so no Problem,
but if you use just one XP Station ( without KB922129 ) you will become Problem.

XP does not have SMB2 so new Futures beging to fail ... and it is again same Story.

Redirector Mrxsmb20.sys works fine with Server 2008, but P2P ...
so as Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028965

while Hotifx come and go, but Registry Setting does still rule which Andreas Herdt
point to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx

as you can see it is still a Lanmanager "Problem" but only with "new" Redirector "Futures"

FileInfoCacheLifetime
FileNotFoundCacheLifetime
DirectoryCacheLifetime

all under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Parameters"

to manipulate Registry you need Administrator Rights so a Xbase++ Application can not
set new Value or create new Entry without Rights ( Manifest ? ).

this is what "Install" Application are for.
this is the place where Application to install should have there "need" Registry settings.

allways verify Registry setting after reboot
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Markus Walter

#29 Post by Markus Walter »

Auge_Ohr wrote:
BruceN wrote: when using Vista SP2-Win7 or Win7-Win7 they wil use SMB2 so no Problem,
but if you use just one XP Station ( without KB922129 ) you will become Problem.
Hi Jimmy,

i can't confirm this. I had at least 2 customer sites with "pure" SMB2 (one p2p-Win7 and one with Win2008R2-Server and Win7 clients) where i had a lot of trouble with defect indexes. After switch off SMB2, all was okay...

And about the fix (kb2028965): Did you check, whether the fix only set this 2 reg-Keys and doesn't change a dll or something else?
-----------------
Greetings
Markus Walter

Auge_Ohr

#30 Post by Auge_Ohr »

Markus Walter wrote:i can't confirm this. I had at least 2 customer sites with "pure" SMB2 (one p2p-Win7 and one with Win2008R2-Server and Win7 clients) where i had a lot of trouble with defect indexes. After switch off SMB2, all was okay...
i did have warn you, turn off SMB2 is NOT a Option !!!
Markus Walter wrote:And about the fix (kb2028965): Did you check, whether the fix only set this 2 reg-Keys and doesn't change a dll or something else?
please read KB2028965 carefull and you will find Registry Key we talk about.
compare your MRxSmb Version with Hotfix / Service Pack 1 and use "lates" Version
greetings by OHR
Jimmy