dbappend() problem on Windows7 shared drive.

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
Tom

Re: dbappend() problem on Windows7 shared drive.

#11 Post by Tom »

Hi, Chris.

Did you send your samples to Alaska Software? What do they say?
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

skiman

#12 Post by skiman »

Hi Tom,

As you maybe have seen on the Xbase newsgroup, Andreas answered to my post. He redirected me to a thread of Microsoft Technet, and asked me to share my experience.

Meanwhile we are probably very close to a solution. We already had 5 correct working tests on the combination which failed always yesterday.

We will test the rest of the day, and if we have another 10 tests without error, I will post it.

If someone has the following combination of network, and is willing to test the above sample, I would be very interested to find someone where the above test also fails. If the solution is also working on that system, then we can almost be sure that this is really working.

- Place the executable and database+indexes on a shared drive on Windows 7.
- Start the executable on a Vista and on a Windows 7 station.
- Verify afterwards if everything is correct, if you have 20.000 records.

If you encounter the problem, let me know, and I send what you have to do on the Vista and Windows 7 system.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Auge_Ohr

#13 Post by Auge_Ohr »

skiman wrote:- Place the executable and database+indexes on a shared drive on Windows 7.
if you got it work with P2P let me know how ...

with Windows 7 it is recommend to have a M$ Server 2008 nothing else ( no Samba, no Novell )

it is also recommend to have a Domain based Login and use NLA (Network Location Awareness)
to "invite" User to use the Drive. Do not use LLTD (Link Layer Topology ) for NET USE while
it use the Lanmanager.

it is not recommend to "mix" W98,Me,NT,W2K,W2K3 or XP or "other" using SMB1 with Vista SP1/Win7
so "upgrade" all Station to same Windows Version.
btw. same with M$ Office

i can NOT use XP Sp3 in a Windows 7 Network. i have to "downgrade" to SP2 and use KB922129
to "see" XP Workstation on Server NLA.
Yes i can NET USE on a XP Sp3 Workstation to "connect" to Server Drive, but after a while
this Way will fail.

as i say, buy M$ Press ISBN978-3-86645-126-1 and read how to install and administrate User with Server 2008.
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

skiman

#14 Post by skiman »

Hi Jimmy,

I will order about 750 copies of that book and send them to my customers as a new years gift. :roll:
However, i'm not sure if that will solve my problem.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

rdonnay
Site Admin

#15 Post by rdonnay »

Chris -

You don't have to ask all of your customers to buy an ADS license, only those who are experiencing such problems.

Roger
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

skiman

#16 Post by skiman »

Hi Roger,

Yes I know, but as soon as someone is migrating some PC's in his network to Windows 7, the problem arises. Even on small networks with 3 PC's.

I'm waiting for the latest tests, but I'm very hopefull with a positive result of a Microsoft solution. It seems as they have a hotfix for it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028965.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Auge_Ohr

#17 Post by Auge_Ohr »

skiman wrote:I'm waiting for the latest tests, but I'm very hopefull with a positive result of a Microsoft solution. It seems as they have a hotfix for it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028965.
hm ... seem the same like in Windows 7 SP1 "beta" Pack.
i did not have installed it yet, perhaps i have to try it.

btw. 7601.16537.100327-1800_Update_Sp_Wave0-B1SP1.0_DVD.iso is NOT available in Windows Update,
you have to search it in beta Forum (need Live ID )
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Auge_Ohr

#18 Post by Auge_Ohr »

skiman wrote:As you maybe have seen on the Xbase newsgroup, Andreas answered to my post. He redirected me to a thread of Microsoft Technet, and asked me to share my experience.
did you read it (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx) util end ?
Incorrect registry path
...\Services\... is missing,
the correct path is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Parameters
so i guess Registry is CASE sesentiv !
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

skiman

#19 Post by skiman »

Hi,

We have tested all the combinations we could in our network. After installing the hotfix from Microsoft, the problem was always solved. It seems as these hotfixes really are the solution, instead of the registry settings for the oplocking, which didn't worked with our sample. :dance:
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Auge_Ohr

#20 Post by Auge_Ohr »

skiman wrote:We have tested all the combinations we could in our network. After installing the hotfix from Microsoft, the problem was always solved. It seems as these hotfixes really are the solution,
you post it yesterday and after 24 Hour of testing you post a Result ?

What did you test ? how many Workstation / Server are used at same time ?
while you last Code was just for 1-1 Client/Server, how did you test now ?

what else did you test ? Office 2010 ?
did you try to open a DOC, over Network, when doing Xbase++ in other Task on same "Server"?

i have installed Windows 7 "beta" SP1 now, but are much more "fix" than KB2028965,
so i guess it need "other" too (don´t know which)
skiman wrote:instead of the registry settings for the oplocking, which didn't worked with our sample.
as i say, i think Registry are CASE sensetive, so non of your Settings are working.

btw. is Ops lock Function in you Xbase++ Application ? if yes : did all User have Administaor Rights ?
a "normal" User can not access Registry and you did not "verify" Registry after setting Value.

there are many User using "correct" Registry settings, which works, and have not your Problem any more.
greetings by OHR
Jimmy