List & Label report designer crashes under Windows 10

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
ccarmac

List & Label report designer crashes under Windows 10

#1 Post by ccarmac »

Within the past several months I have encountered problems running the List & Label report designer under Windows 10. When I launch the report designer from within my application and attempt to modify a report, I frequently get "access violation" error messages, which crash the program. The problem is particularly bad when adding or editing images on the report. I upgraded from version 23 to version 25 of L&L in an attempt to solve the problem, but that didn't help. It actually seems to be worse under version 25.

I sent a test copy of my application to Combit, and they were able to reproduce the problem, but they still haven't been able to fix the issue. They are currently discussing it with Microsoft, in an attempt to find a solution.

Thankfully, this issue seems to be isolated to Windows 10. I don't get this problem when running the report designer on Windows Server operating systems.

I'm using version 1909 of Windows 10, version 25 of List & Label, and version 2.00.1087 of Xbase++.

Has anyone else encountered any issues with the L&L report designer in Windows 10? If so, how did you solve them?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Tom

Re: List & Label report designer crashes under Windows 10

#2 Post by Tom »

Hi, Chris.

We do use L&L 22, 23 and 25 at hundreds and hundreds of customer sites, and as far as I know, we never encountered this kind of problem. Lots of our customers use the designer.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

reganc

#3 Post by reganc »

We too use L&L (mostly 22 but I have used 24 & 25) and as far as I am aware none of our customers have had this issue either.
Regan Cawkwell
Real Business Applications Ltd
http://www.rbauk.com

Tom

#4 Post by Tom »

Have you used the DebWin4-debugger to find out what's happening, Chris? What kind of reports do you create?
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

ccarmac

#5 Post by ccarmac »

Tom and Reagan,

Thanks for the replies! The type of reports we are creating are pretty basic - just simple list inventory/sales reports, for the most part. We also print invoices, work orders, and statements, which are slightly more complicated, and generally have customer logo images included.

I reported this issue to Combit back in February. The instructed me to create a debug file using Debwin4.exe, which I did, and sent it to them. They weren't able to determine the cause of the issue using that debug file, so one of their techs logged onto my development machine using TeamViewer. I was able to reproduce the problem, and they created a memory dump file to help with their investigation. They still were not able to determined the cause of the problem, so they asked if I could send them a test copy of my application, which I did. They installed my application on one of their development machines, and were able to reproduce the problem.

They said that the issue appeared to be related to the Windows common dialogs. If I open a dialog window (such as to choose an image file), the application starts to go haywire after the window is closed. They said that one potential cause of the problem is that my application was using version 5 of the COMCTL32.DLL, and L&L uses version 6. I contacted Alaska Software about this, and they said I could force my Xbase++ application to use version 6 of COMCTL32 by creating a manifest file, which I did. It looks like this...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
version="1.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
name="Freedomsoft.Tireshop"
type="win32"
/>
<description>Point-Of-Sale Software for the retail and wholesale tire and automotive repair industry</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

I put that manifest file in the installation folder of my application, but it didn't seem to have any effect. I still got the "access violation" errors. I sent the manifest file to Combit, but I don't think it helped on their end, either. They said they had reached out to Microsoft about the potential common dialog issue, but haven't received any response back yet.

It's good to know that neither of you guys have encountered this problem. That seems to indicate that the problem is specific to my application, which means that there should be a solution for it. Still, it's frustrating that neither myself or Combit have been able to find it yet.

Thanks!

Chris

Auge_Ohr

#6 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,
ccarmac wrote: They said that the issue appeared to be related to the Windows common dialogs. If I open a dialog window (such as to choose an image file), the application starts to go haywire after the window is closed. They said that one potential cause of the problem is that my application was using version 5 of the COMCTL32.DLL, and L&L uses version 6. I contacted Alaska Software about this, and they said I could force my Xbase++ application to use version 6 of COMCTL32 by creating a manifest file, which I did. It looks like this...
"Windows common Dialogs" are ComDlg32.dll
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... i/_dlgbox/

ComCtl32.dll include Control like Listview
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... l-versions

p.s. only under 64 bit avaiable
ccarmac wrote: I put that manifest file in the installation folder of my application, but it didn't seem to have any effect.
i include it in *.ARC

Code: Select all

1 = ".\..\RES\Reg100.ico" 
  1218       = ".\..\RES\Reg100.ico"  

VERSION
   "CompanyName"      = "Yiu-Software"
   "LegalCopyright"   = "Copyright (c) Yiu-Software"
   "ProductName"      = "Xbase++ Registry Manager"
   "ProductVersion"   = "1.90.0355.51"
   "FileDescription"  = "Registry Database "
   "FileVersion"      = "0.0.0.1"
   "OriginalFilename" = "REGDB.EXE"