How to create a WSDL web service

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
Cliff Wiernik

Re: How to create a WSDL web service

#21 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

They just are using a tool, WSDL, to generate the class definitions. They do not know how to generate xml files manually. They just want to use the class, add their data to the class variable and it, say build xml and say send and it builds the soap message including the URL and everything. They don't need to do anything. If you look at the xb2net SOAP Area, you have to code the structure. They don't know how to do that.

So should be able to setup your service and then just create the XSD and WSDL file using one of the tools in SOAPUI. I have not done it yet but that is what I am told and see from reading. They just need you to define the WSDL xml file.

A snippet I found:

Re: creating wsdl from xml file

if you are looking for straight forward conversion from XML- WSDL,there is no any tool available for that now..
However you can convert the XML to XSD, and convert it as WSDL..
Bottomline, you can need to make sure WSDL key elements such as <bindings>, <port> etc., are available. you can validate the generated WSDL using XML spy...
try to use Altova XML SPY.. You can do lot of SOAP testing using this tool

It is some work, but start with your XML file you need, create the XSD using some of the tools available, the use the XSD to create the WSDL and then fill in the connection pieces and validate. You should be able to then setup your soap server to look for the same things.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#22 Post by rdonnay »

As I see it is a rather simple webservice? If you can send the INI file to test this service in your SOAPTEST sample, I can probably create the WSDL for you.
Chris -

I would appreciate that very much. Add this to your SOAPTEST.INI file.

Code: Select all

[UPLOADFILE]
Desc=Upload a file to a Web Service                                                                      
URL=https://bb.donnay-software.com/donnay/receivefile.cxp                                               
NameSpace=                                                                                                    
NameSpace1=                                                                                                    
NameSpace2=                                                                                                    
NameSpace3=                                                                                                    
NameSpace4=                                                                                                    
Method=UploadFile                                        
Response=UploadFileResonse                                 
Header=
XMLStream=
VAR01=FileContents;C;<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <donor> .. </donor>
VAR02=;;
VAR03=;;
VAR04=;;
VAR05=;;
VAR06=;;
VAR07=;;
VAR08=;;
VAR09=;;
VAR10=;;
VAR11=;;
VAR12=;;
VAR13=;;
VAR14=;;
VAR15=;;
VAR16=;;
VAR17=;;
VAR18=;;
VAR19=;;
VAR20=;;
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

skiman

#23 Post by skiman »

Hi Roger,

In attachment the WSDL.

You will see that there is a section for the RESPONSE. You need to change this with the name of the Variable you return. I placed XXXX on it, you need to replace the XXX.

I understand why your customer doesn't understand how to acces your webservice. In their world, they would have the tag/variable DONOR, and they would only send this. This is maybe a simple change to your webservice, and it would be more standard. The return could be the DONOR value which is 'encrypted'. The .net developers would understand it better. They live in their own bubble you know...

You need to put the WSDL on your server in the donnay folder. So they can upload it as follows:
http://bb.donnay-software.com/donnay/receivefile.wsdl

I you install the free SOAPUI, you can test it.

If you change your webservice, the WSDL must be changed accordingly. It is a rather simple change. If any help needed just send a mail.
Attachments
receivefile.zip
(624 Bytes) Downloaded 840 times
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

rdonnay
Site Admin

#24 Post by rdonnay »

This is maybe a simple change to your webservice, and it would be more standard. The return could be the DONOR value which is 'encrypted'. The .net developers would understand it better. They live in their own bubble you know...
Actually, I don't call my solution a "web service". I know that it doesn't follow the rules for such things.
It is simply a server that receives a file via a URL string.

Yes, they do live in the .net bubble and cannot view the world in any other way.

Thanks for your help.

Victorio

#25 Post by Victorio »

Hi,

Now I also study how can make some web interface. I can get one job, where on PC , server of client must run standard application, where is database tables, and also some metafile objects (photos, vector maps)
but also access part of this data to web for everyone. This can be online or also offline with actualization after change in database.
By web user must see also some info from database (filterer only what can see everyone), and also metafile.
I see , this is more complicated than I can do.
On web must be some map (picture like bitmap), or better interractive map, where client click to object on map. and app show him some personal info.

I mean , :oops: only generate some html code, put it to web server, for example to my web page , do some connect html with database and it works....

I see, this will be manytimes complicated do it as web application, than simple PC application.

:think:

Cliff Wiernik

#26 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

But they want you to provide a SOAP service. In a lot of cases a RESTful service could be easier to setup. But they would likely want the related definition file for that service. I has to do a mixed RPC type client service to one of our loan providers to send applications. All they provided to me was an xml validator, endpoint location and sample http payload with the xml file. No other files were provided. Something like what you are desiring to provide. I was able to connection with xb2net (should have been similar to do with XBase 2.0). but not much. I has XSD's but that was about it. The XSD did not have the rest of the data.

But the connection part was easy. Interpreting how to use the data and what they needed in the xsd was the hardest part.

skiman

#27 Post by skiman »

Roger,

In attachment the documentation for the wsdl as generated by soapui. Maybe you can use it.
Attachments
wsdl-report.zip
(3.93 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

rdonnay
Site Admin

#28 Post by rdonnay »

Chris -

What did you use to generate the WSDL file?

Did you just write it by hand or did you have a tool that does it based on some screen where you fill out the parameters?

skiman

#29 Post by skiman »

Hi Roger,

I start with an existing WSDL and then I modify it by hand. I didn't find any tool to do this automatically.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Cliff Wiernik

#30 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

You may want to try the open source version of soapui.

https://www.soapui.org/downloads/soapui.html