Do I need ADS?

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
Tim K

Do I need ADS?

#1 Post by Tim K »

I've been running my converted Clipper ERP in XBASE++ 1.9 for about 6 weeks now with DBFCDX dbe. What has become obvious is that the indexes are much more stable, i.e. I've had no index corruptions since the conversion has been shaken out. My converted app uses the same Clipper nightly index rebuild regime, so that probably figures in to the lack of corruption. My plan is to update to ADS, but I will have to convert to FOXCDX to be compatible, which is doable but it is a bit of after hours work.

I'm hoping those of you who have converted from the native XBASE++ DBEs to ADS might be willing to tell me what compelling benefits they've seen in practice, that confirm the clear theoretical client/server improvements. I want to take advantage of the Universal SQL features of XBASE 2.0, will they be enhanced by ADS or are they completely independent?

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: Do I need ADS?

#2 Post by rdonnay »

what compelling benefits they've seen in practice
Indexes are indestructible.
This means that you will NEVER have to reindex at night.
This is important for applications that must run 24/7.

Performance is better when there are many workstations.
I want to take advantage of the Universal SQL features of XBASE 2.0, will they be enhanced by ADS or are they completely independent?
ADS works very well with SQL now in both 1.9 and 2.0.
I do a lot in SQL with ADS, both in source code and also when running Ad-hoc queries against the data, using the ADS architect.

Databases can be much larger in size.
I have seen ADS applications with databases as large as 25gb.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Wolfgang Ciriack

#3 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

In the last 3 weeks i changed from DBF/CDX to DBF/FTP and added the possibilty to run my app with the ADS.
I have 3 customers, which now are using my app with ADS, and they are impressed on the speed which they now have compared to the use without ADS in their network. I lot of other occational errors have gone. I will continue to convince my other customers to use the ADS.
So it is realy worth to give our customers this possibilty to get a more stable system with the ADS.

Tim K

#4 Post by Tim K »

Sounds good! Thanks guys.

Cliff Wiernik

#5 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

We send from dbfcdx in clipper to adsdbe in clipper along time ago. We then switched to xbase++ along time ago using adsdbe not foxcdx. Never have used foxcdx. No compatability problems. Eliminates index file corruption. Have occassional 8999 disconnects with ADS but no corruption.