ADS Runs Amuk

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
bwolfsohn

ADS Runs Amuk

#1 Post by bwolfsohn »

We have a client with a large ads installation. 50 user license, heavy traffic. server is w2k8R2. ADS is 10.10

ads has worked pretty flawlessly for the past 4 years on this machine.

3 x in the past week, the max number of connection (which is set to 1500) has shot up into the 8,000 range.

rebooting the server has worked the 1st 2 times this happened.

this time, nothing we tried has helped.

The network has seen heavy activity in the past 10 days. It just started to lighten up a bit this afternoon. before the latest failure.

got all machines out. rebooted server. tried connecting from a single user, and the connections shot up immediately, even before the program was fully loaded to over 500.

we stopped ads for now, and are using ads local on a skeleton level w/ under 10 - users. no problems connecting with ads local.

Has anyone experienced this ??
any suggestions ?
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

Cliff Wiernik

Re: ADS Runs Amuk

#2 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

We have not seen this. 2 customers are using ADS 11.x on Win2008R2. Only about 20-39 user.

39 users
58 connections
6053 work areas
449 tables.

32 users
39 connections
3558 work areas
187 tables

In our environment, we use 11.x running under SLES11sp3/OES11sp2 from Novell
91 users
411 connections
26963 work areas
1210 tables

We have not seen the connections shoot up.

bwolfsohn

#3 Post by bwolfsohn »

We were partially able to duplicate this late last night...

One of the machines had a sticky key, or mouse button, and was trying to run tha application dozens of times. it wasn't the hundreds of times that occured during the day, but a tech was watching this machine and stopped the behavior after it shot connections up to 77 just by itself...

Advantage data architect was helpful in showing the user connected all those multiple times.
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

Tom

#4 Post by Tom »

We adapted (and actualized) parts of the "ADSMGMT"-Tool delivered by Alaska and migrated it into our app. We and all administrators can watch all settings, open tables, open indexes, active connections, worker thread activities, statistics, locks and owners, they can kill users or check all installed libraries (local and server). That is very useful to find that kind of problems (and their causes).
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Tom

#5 Post by Tom »

One of the machines had a sticky key, or mouse button, and was trying to run tha application dozens of times.
That reminds of something that happend ten or fifteen years ago. A customer called in and forced me to come to his office. The users were complaining that our app starts making noises right after telephone calls came in. There was no connection between our application and the telephone system. Since the customer was really, really angry, I moved over, checked several things (at least, there was nothing to check) and waited. Suddenly a phone startet ringing. An employee took a huge bunch of papers from the telephone and placed the stuff on the computer keyboard. Beepbeepbeepbeepbeep. "You see?", asked the customer. "You hear?" "I see, I hear", I answered, removed the stuff from the keyboard and went out.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."