Problems with VOIP on a T1 Line

This forum is for posting of useful information
John Hohensee

Problems with VOIP on a T1 Line

#1 Post by John Hohensee »

I have a client the converted from cable for their internet to a T1 line that shares the line with VOIP, the have about 10 phone numbers, 640K used (64K for each phone number).

They are now trying to run a CITRIX application to do what they were doing in house. The older machines, 2GHz to 2.8GHz run the CITRIX application without problems. The newer machines 3.4GHz time out when trying to connect to the CITRIX system.

Move the newer systems to a NON-VOIP line and the work without problems. I have been told that VOIP has priority on the access to the T1 to prevent echo, chopped transmission of the voice. Which is probably their problem.

D-Link support had a response about routers and their new feature of AUTO DETECT the input line to switch from straight thru line or cross-over automatically. Apparently the AUTO MDX as its called has a fault that it will drop packets in the middle of a transaction to perform the auto detect all over again. They suggested that customer DO NOT rely on the AUTO MDX and use a cross-over cable when coming from a switch to the router. That this will actually improve the speed because their will be no more switching back and forth during the transmission of data.

I'm waiting for permission to go back to them and try this to see if it will help.
When I get this done I'll post the results.