Cloud first

Discussion of any topic that lifts your mind or your spirit
Tom

Cloud first

#1 Post by Tom »

What do you guys think and say about the latest news from Alaska Software?
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: Cloud first

#2 Post by rdonnay »

Our vision from a development tool perspective is that any Xbase++, Clipper or Visual FoxPro developer should be able to publish an Xbase++ application to the cloud simply with a push of a button, and that customers can use this new application either via the web browser, a mobile device or via a public API.
That is a very ambiguous statement.

I recall Steffen telling us about client/server and SQL at my conference in Idaho in 2008.
They recently announced a huge performance boost in PostGreSQL (ISAM emulation).
I haven't had an opportunity to look at it yet, but if it works it took 10 years.

CX/P was never promised to us, yet it worked very good from the first time we heard about it.
I am much more impressed with what Alaska has given us without any promises, especially CX/P. I use it.

I will not be holding my breath, but I will give it a look when they say it is available.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

skiman

#3 Post by skiman »

Just wondering what this announcement is promising. Running an Xbase application on a html5 canvas? This way you can with a click of a button your xbase application running in a webbrowser. This is rather easy to do, and there are rather cheap solutions for it. So this can be done today, by adding a few lines of code to your xbase code.

Is this what the users of our applications are waiting for? No, I don't think so. They want a real webbased application and they want a concrete date when they can expect it.

The problem is that an Xbase developer don't know the technologies as needed to create a modern looking web application. I'm one of them. I know some HTML, CSS, Javascript, but this is not enough to create stunning web applications. I tried it since I bought Xb2net more than 10 years ago. I have an online version of my desktop application but it doesn't look as I want and it takes too much time to add new functionalities. In fact, it's not what my customers want. For those who are interested (http://81.244.247.249:8999 with user: co and password: aboonline).

The advantage of the above is that it is using the same data as my desktop application and both can be used the same time. If someone is on the road, the online version can be used. This is rather powerfull and not much of my competitors have this. But the look and feel is disappointing.

I decided some months ago to create a new online application and I searched for a system where I can use my xbase knowledge, and I don't need to know any web programming. I found a way to do it. I'm working with some brilliant Angular developers and we are creating an API-reader in Angular.

It's build as a three tier architecture:
Presentation layer: Angular API reader.
Application layer: My Xbase application which I called an iAPI (Intelligent API).
Database layer: the database as you are using or just your dbf files.

In a lot of cases, there is no difference in the 3 layers, most Xbase applications are the 3 layers in one.

All the Business logic is in the application layer, in fact, the Angular developers even don't know what they are doing. They just show what they get from the iAPI and they send their changes to it. The application layer is in Xbase and I can easily convert business logic to the new app.

If I want to change to another database, I only need to change it in the database layer, and everything will work as before. No need to change anything to the Presentation layer.

The 3 tier implementation is not new and I expect is known by a lot of xbase developers.

The potential of the system is the what I call iAPI and the reader for it. In fact the Angular app we are developing can read and work with every iAPI available. If the concept is correct implemented with Xbase, or any language, the reader will build your Angular app, and you get an online version with everything you need without any knowledge of web developing.

In any language with the possibility to setup a httpserver, you can create the iAPI, and the reader will create the app.

You can use it as a Hybrid solution, desktop applications at the office, the Angular app on the road. It's easy to change the functionality of the angular app, according to the user who is logged in. You can show different screens, the accountant has other rights according to someone from the warehouse. For new applications you can create the iAPI and put it in the cloud, you even don't have to create the desktop application. With this system you can develop webbased applications for your customers for everything they want.

I will setup a demo of the system, this will be available within a month. If someone is interested in this technology, you can contact me. I plan to invest further in the Angular app and the technology. Every xbase developer can have his online Angular app, by just using his knowledge of Xbase++. The creation of the iAPI is rather easy, depending on the complexity of the desktop application.

I think this can open a lot of new horizons for a lot of xbase developers. Use your xbase knowledge, use the xbase technologies to acces your database, and deliver webbased solutions to your customers.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Victorio

#4 Post by Victorio »

Hi Chris,

I am very interesting about web applications, because PC app no one wants to :(
Everyone is afraid to buy a desktop application because they are afraid of installation and maintenance issues.
I am Clipper programmer, and from 2015 Xbase++ , and now I'm struggling with the xb2net.
I came across to knowledge HTML,CSS,Javascript,jQuery... this is so more, than to spend in a short time.

Because I am interesting about demo, which you present.

Can you help me with create with my first small test application ?

I still do not understand how xb2net functions works, mainly GETVAR,GETCARGO, setVar, setCargo...
I modify webserve, timeclock demo app to use my own table, create little browser, in which I want select row and after it I need to show user, how row selected.
When I am in html page, everything can do with javascript functions.
But when I need send info to server and show in other window, I do not know, how transfer variable and his value from "window" to other called function in program.

Attached Timeclock_raukn.prg, where are my problematic parts with note row *qqq2 and *qqq3.
So you or someone else can help me, I create new thread, because this is about Cloud firs...

Victorio
Attachments
TimeClock_Raukn.zip
(24.71 KiB) Downloaded 929 times

unixkd

#5 Post by unixkd »

Code: Select all

I will setup a demo of the system, this will be available within a month. If someone is interested in this technology, you can contact me. I plan to invest further in the Angular app and the technology. Every xbase developer can have his online Angular app, by just using his knowledge of Xbase++. The creation of the iAPI is rather easy, depending on the complexity of the desktop application.
Hi Chris,
Virtually every Xbase++ developer will be interested in this your solution because everybody want to move their applications to the web. If not for Roger and Express++, alot of us in the Xbase++ community today may not be here. If we can have a similar concept for web app development, it will be great. Needless to say that you have my interest

Joe.

unixkd

#6 Post by unixkd »

Hi Chris

Is your system going to be based on Xb2Net or Xbase 2.0 web technologies ?

Thanks

Joe

skiman

#7 Post by skiman »

unixkd wrote: Is your system going to be based on Xb2Net or Xbase 2.0 web technologies ?
Hi, It doesn't matter in which technology you create your server. The iAPI reader doesn't care about this. The reader itself is written in Angular. This is the part where Xbase++ and other developers are struggle with.

You need to write your own iAPI in the language and technology of your choice. You need to follow the rules which will be documented. Once you have done this, the reader will create the modern and functional Web app for you.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

skiman

#8 Post by skiman »

Victorio wrote: I came across to knowledge HTML,CSS,Javascript,jQuery... this is so more, than to spend in a short time.
Hi,

This is exactly what I tried the last 10 years. The link I posted is the result. It will be difficult to get it better, and it will take so much time.
With the iAPI you can use your Clipper and Xbase knowledge, and you don't have to bother about the web technologies.

However it is not limited. If you already have some webbased modules, you can integrate them in the iAPI and the reader will use them without any problem.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Victorio

#9 Post by Victorio »

I will setup a demo of the system, this will be available within a month.
I'm very interested in what you say, and I will be eager to wait for new information ;)