Enlighten me please

Discussion of any topic that lifts your mind or your spirit
rdonnay
Site Admin

Enlighten me please

#1 Post by rdonnay »

A few years ago, a coal company went bankrupt. During the proceedings in court, documents were discovered showing a willful attempt at misleading the public about global warming and its relationship to fossil fuels,,, In these documents the company describes its funding of research with the sole purpose of misleading the public.

Now New York AG and the LA times have uncovered documents showing Exxon knew as far back as the early 70's that there was a relationship to oil and climate change... It also shows the willful attempt to fund research that showed there was no coloration between fossil fuels and warming.

Of course, I always knew this. This is typical of how many corporations operate.

Back in the 1970's, when I was the manufacturing manager of computer company in California, I challenged a new type of packaging that we were using as unsafe to our workers. It used a chemical that was added to a base material that caused the packaging material to expand around the item, in this case a computer. This process emitted a very toxic gas that was affecting our workers. You could smell it all over the production floor.
I went to the CEO talk to her about it and let her know about my concerns. She told me that if I ever brought up this subject again, I would be fired.

I quit soon after that. I should have made a complaint to OSHA, but don't remember now why I didn't. I think that it was because it was already becoming well known as toxic, as was the 1-1-1 Trichloroethane that we used to clean circuit boards. I haven’t seen that kind of packaging in years. Circuit boards are now cleaned with water-based solvents.

Human beings eventually learn and agree to rid the world of these dangers to our health, as we did with CFO's. Eventually, the world will understand the dangers of CO2 but it may be too late. They talk about a "tipping point". I think about it as "thermal runaway". As an Electrical Engineer, I understood the importance of "negative feedback" in control systems to prevent such things. Unfortunately, there is no natural negative feedback system that can protect us from this eventuality before it is too late. On the contrary, there is strong evidence that there is a positive feedback system that is likely to accelerate the process. Some of that comes from nature itself, but the rest comes from politics and the new form of media that gives credibility to absurd arguments instead of science and reason.

What ever happened to the "Age of Enlightenment"?
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

bwolfsohn

Re: Enlighten me please

#2 Post by bwolfsohn »

rdonnay wrote:What ever happened to the "Age of Enlightenment"?
Ronald Regan
Rush Limbaugh
and
fox news
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

rdonnay
Site Admin

#3 Post by rdonnay »

Rush Limbaugh and fox news
I can't completely agree with you about Ronald Reagan. I think he was capable of reason and demonstrated it often. He wasn't religious even though FOX would want you to believe that.

Rush Limbaugh and FOX, however, are the major promulgators of this nonsense and now even a brain surgeon is talking in absurdities. I long believed that doctors were scientists but have changed my mind in the past decade. I can't imagine what other neurosurgeons must be thinking when they listen to Dr. Ben Carson. He must be a huge embarrassment to the medical community. His complete ignorance of science and history is mind-boggling. He has been living in the FOX bubble for so long that he now believes that he is being persecuted by the media and has lost all touch with reality. FOX and Rush Limbaugh are part of the media. Why don't these persecuted Republicans understand that? Ben Carson stands no chance of becoming a viable candidate. His followers put him on a pedestal, made him their prophet, told him he could be president, and he believes it. What a sorry ending for a person who was once respected. "Being president is easy", he said. "It isn't brain surgery."
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

bwolfsohn

#4 Post by bwolfsohn »

rdonnay wrote:
Rush Limbaugh and fox news
I can't completely agree with you about Ronald Reagan. I think he was capable of reason and demonstrated it often. He wasn't religious even though FOX would want you to believe that.
As meatloaf said...
2 out of three ain't bad...
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises