File open errors

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
omni

File open errors

#1 Post by omni »

Roger,

I know this is most likely hardware, but want to ask.

We have a client that has 50-odd users, some via vpn/remote access, some local. Today and yesterday they have locked up and the files are not closing properly, from what we see. For example, a dbf is open 10 times, the index is open 25 times when viewing in computer mgt on the server. They do not use any client server. Also,we just switched them from 331 to 355 Alaska. Hopefully that is just a coincidence.
This happened yesterday and again today, different files.

Thanks,

Fred
Omni

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: File open errors

#2 Post by rdonnay »

I have never heard of any problems like this that are associated with 355, but then I also have not heard of anyone with 50 users who is not using client/server.

If your customer has 50 users on a networked application, I would assume that your software program is one of their most valuable assets. It always amazes me that such a customer would be reluctant to invest a little more money for absolute reliability. Don't you think that it's time to add support for Advantage in your program?
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

omni

#3 Post by omni »

Roger,.

We used advantage for many years, but when we went to 1.9 from 1.8 nobody upgraded and we have had no real issues with files with any users. Its been fairly stable, and users always complained that it took too long to open with Advantage. (which it did)

This user has been around for about 6-8 months and has grown from no revenue to 1 million a week in that time. Yes, they would not have done it without our software and mention that constantly. Very dependent on customization.

This file open problem has just happened for the first time.

There had been remote connection issues in the beginning, where our app would just close, but that went away for the most part when we instructed them to login without high graphics.

Are file open problems and operating system errors something that goes away with Advantage. I know they used to allow new users a 30-day trial.
Also, high level users complain about speed as the day goes on, which to me is just network traffic due to activity and number of users. Not sure if Advantage helps on that.
What are your thoughts on this.

Fred

rdonnay
Site Admin

#4 Post by rdonnay »

Fred -

Advantage will take care of both of these issues:

1) Reliability
2) Performance

Roger
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.