Hot News Arctica/SQL?

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
digitsoft

Hot News Arctica/SQL?

#1 Post by digitsoft »

Hot News http://www.alaska-software.com/

Last Update: 2012-03-01

2012-03-01 Xbase++ 2.0 at 4th European Xbase++ conference

Should I attend the 4th European Xbase++ conference? When will Xbase 2.0 become available? When can I begin migrating my application to SQL? These are typical questions from the Xbase++ community. Although it's a policy at Alaska Software to not publish specific release dates, nonetheless we would like to take the opportunity to address those questions.

When can I begin using Arctica/SQL?
Many of the Xbase++ developers asking themselves this question are looking for a quick and easy transition to SQL, be it due to customer demand, the need for better performance or just the desire to follow the current "mainstream". Xbase++ and Arctica will make available a host of SQL-related technologies, which will ease the transition to and the usage of SQL. However, in addition to the obvious topics involved (new SQL command, etc.), there is a number of additional factors that must be taken into account during the transition. To what extend will application performance be affected? What will my backup procedure look like? How will my application be installed and what kind of infrastructural demands will I be facing when using a PostgreSQL server? All of these questions will be answered at the 4th European Xbase++ conference. A database workshop will specifically address the issue of which data access and data management concepts should be used under which conditions.
When will Xbase++ become available?
Individual technologies of the Xbase++ 2.0 product will be made available as part of a community technology preview (CPT). The next CTP refresh will be the last to deal with the <CXP/> technology. New features, such as layout management, pagelets, additional examples for file upload and mobile order reservation are just a few of the topics covered. Next in line is the CMD CTP, which will include the new SQL commands as well as the commands borrowed from Visual FoxPro, such as SCAN/ENDSCAN. The MIG CTP, which will follow afterwards, will put the focus on transforming your DBF/NTX/CDX-based application into a PostgreSQL-based one. Finally, the last preview will address topics such as SQL in conjunction with DBF tables, virtual (in-memory) tables and mobile databases with SQLite. [Click to enlarge]

There still is quite some work ahead of us. For you as an Xbase++ developer, the goal should be to keep yourself informed about all of these subjects. For this reason, you should attend the 4th European Xbase++ conference, because this is where you will get a comprehensive introduction into these various subjects and technologies.

Important: The primary language of the Hannover conference will be German! Some sessions will be held twice (German and English). For more details see the session plan here.

Finally, there will be a US conference this year - more details will be announced in due course.
Nolberto Paulino
Regards

Auge_Ohr

Re: Hot News Arctica/SQL?

#2 Post by Auge_Ohr »

digitsoft wrote:Finally, there will be a US conference this year - more details will be announced in due course.
WOW ... 2 Devcon in 1 Year after 5 Year of nothing ...
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

skiman

#3 Post by skiman »

There will be a CTP release, followed by a CMD release, after that a MIG release. In my opinion the features of the MIG release were announced 5 years ago... Seems that Arctica won't be available at the Devcon... 3 releases to go...

Since the presentation for the German user group almost a year ago, there was not much news about it.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Auge_Ohr

#4 Post by Auge_Ohr »

skiman wrote:In my opinion the features of the MIG release were announced 5 years ago... Seems that Arctica won't be available at the Devcon... 3 releases to go...
but now it seems to work :)

after figure out how DBFupsize.EXE Tool work with "upsize.XML" i now can play with MDIDEMO and PostgreSQL v8.3
only some lines need to use PGDBE and "connect" Session to PostgreSQL Server, that all !!!

NO need to change other source code of MDIDEMO ( if you use VIA xxDBE you have to change it to PGDBE )

so i think MIG is working now lets wait for next Step
MIG.jpg
MIG.jpg (89.76 KiB) Viewed 7773 times
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Auge_Ohr

#5 Post by Auge_Ohr »

digitsoft wrote:Finally, there will be a US conference this year - more details will be announced in due course.
is this what you meen ?
Hot News http://www.alaska-software.com/
Last Update: 2012-04-30

Alaska Software announces the Southwest Xbase++ Conference to be held on October 18th - 21st, 2012 in Gilbert, Arizona, USA.
greetings by OHR
Jimmy