Questions of zero level

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
Eugene Lutsenko
Location: Russia, Southern federal district, city of Krasnodar

Questions of zero level

#1 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

You couldn't on an elementary example on steps describe program transformation on CLIPPER 5.01 in the GUI-appendix xBase++ with application eXpress++

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: Questions of zero level

#2 Post by rdonnay »

Eugene -

Look at the below code. Compile and run it.

Roger

Code: Select all

#pragma Library("dclipx.lib")

FUNCTION Main()

TextBased()
GuiBased()

RETURN nil

FUNCTION TextBased()

LOCAL GetList[0], nNumber := 123.4, dDate := Date(), lLogic := .T., cString := 'This is a string        '

SET CURSOR ON
@ 10,10 SAY 'Enter a number' GET nNumber
@ 11,10 SAY 'Enter a date  ' GET dDate
@ 12,10 SAY 'Enter a logic ' GET lLogic
@ 13,10 SAY 'Enter a string' GET cString

READ

RETURN nil

* ----------

#INCLUDE "dcdialog.CH"

FUNCTION GuiBased()

LOCAL GetList[0], nNumber := 123.4, dDate := Date(), lLogic := .T., cString := 'This is a string        '

@ 10,10 DCSAY 'Enter a number' GET nNumber
@ 11,10 DCSAY 'Enter a date  ' GET dDate
@ 12,10 DCSAY 'Enter a logic ' GET lLogic
@ 13,10 DCSAY 'Enter a string' GET cString

DCREAD GUI FIT ADDBUTTONS

RETURN nil
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Eugene Lutsenko

#3 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

I installed eXPress ++ in a folder by default (EXP19). At compilation and assemblage of your example messages on not found files ch and lib stood out. I have placed them in a folder where there are similar files xBase ++ and then the exe-module has turned out also all works. However it at start has not found dll which I too have placed in a folder on which the way is registered. Then all has earned.

A question: "As on to instal eXPress ++ that correct ways on its folders have thus registered?".

bwolfsohn

#4 Post by bwolfsohn »

Add the following items to your path under system properties|advances|environmental varsiables

(substitute your directories for these..

PATH=c:\alaska\xppw32190SL1\runtime;c:\exp19\bin19_sl1;c:\exp19\bin19;c:\exp19\bin;c:\alaska\adsw32190SL1\lib;c:\alaska\xppw32190SL1\bin;c:\alaska\xppw32190SL1\libC:\alaska\xbtw32190SL1\bin;C:\alaska\xbtw32190SL1\lib;c:\alaska\asinet190SL1\lib
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

Eugene Lutsenko

#5 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

bwolfsohn wrote:Add the following items to your path under system properties|advances|environmental varsiables

(substitute your directories for these..

PATH=c:\alaska\xppw32190SL1\runtime;c:\exp19\bin19_sl1;c:\exp19\bin19;c:\exp19\bin;c:\alaska\adsw32190SL1\lib;c:\alaska\xppw32190SL1\bin;c:\alaska\xppw32190SL1\libC:\alaska\xbtw32190SL1\bin;C:\alaska\xbtw32190SL1\lib;c:\alaska\asinet190SL1\lib
I thank! And nevertheless it is strange, why at installation eXPress++ these ways don't register in variables of environment

rdonnay
Site Admin

#6 Post by rdonnay »

I thank! And nevertheless it is strange, why at installation eXPress++ these ways don't register in variables of environment
I don't believe that the eXpress++ installation should affect your registry or your config file. I have always hated it when programs do that to my environment. eXpress++ is a product for programmers who already have an understanding of Xbase++ and environment variables and who are used to reading a README.TXT file. Sorry if this is not what you expected.

Eugene Lutsenko

#7 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

Hello, Roger!

It is very similar that I expected, and your product justifies my most courageous expectations. Certainly, to adjust environment not a problem. Readme.txt I didn't read, since at us the postgraduate study opens and I day and night on Saturday and Sunday did working programs for post-graduate students and for 3 days have made 9 programs (it approximately 400 sheets of the text under the certain standard). At me it was not simple time. But I all time dreamed to be engaged in programming, since it that really very much is pleasant to me.

But let's talk about more pleasant. I have made a breadboard model of the program for automatic transformation resulted by you at this forum of an example from CLIPPER in ALASKA. To download it it is possible from my site to the address: http://lc.kubagro.ru/Alaska/Downloads.rar. A name of program LC_EXPR. The initial file is an initial text of the program on CLIPPER 5.01+TOOLS II. As an example I used a file: ROGER_CL.PRG, made of the example resulted by you. I have simply left in it only that we concern purely CLIPPER. If to start LC_EXPR having set as parameter through blank ROGER_CL.PRG (LC_EXPR.EXE ROGER_CL.PRG) the file is automatically formed: roger_cl.out. After expansion replacement on PRG it is possible to compile it and that part of your example which is made for demonstration of possibilities of your package and Alaska will turn out. It is normally compiled and works.

There can be to you similar programs will seem a toy. Your opinion is an opinion of the expert. But I the old CLIPPER-programmer don't own your package and the similar program if it carried out transformation CLIPPER 5.01+TOOLS II designs in ALASKA+TOOLS III designs with use of your package, to me very much and very much was useful. I also dare to hope that not only me, but also much similar to me. Probably, this program would be useful even to experts who manually carry out similar transformations instantly. But what for by it it to do manually if it can be automated. As a last resort, it is possible to correct manually then result, what not so it has turned out.

I can't quickly expand this program that it carried out transformation of other designs which are in your package and Alaska, and to you it costs nothing to make it. I am assured that it not a problem and for other less advanced experts who are at this forum. I suggest it to make and in common to use result.

Yours faithfully and wishes of successes!
Professor Evgenie Lutsenko

PS
I am sorry for mine disgusting English. But I hope me it is possible to understand (at certain desire, certainly). The matter is that I use a translation program.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#8 Post by rdonnay »

Professor Evgenie -

I understand your frustration that there is no tool that will automatically convert your Clipper text-based application to an Xbase++ GUI-based application. I have been working with Xbase++ for nearly 14 years and Clipper for 25 years and my specialty is helping Clipper programmers with their conversion projects.

Believe me, I have looked at all options over the years to try to make this a possibility, but there are far too many differences between a modal text-based system an event-driven GUI system. eXpress++ was my best work toward this effort and is, in my humble opinion, the best technique available.

I will be speaking at the Xbase++ conference in Hanover, Germany, so if you can attend I promise you I will give you several hours of my time. Until then, I will look at your breadboard model and see what I can do. It sounds like you are an electrical engineer (as myself). I have not heard the term "breadboard" since my engineering days.

Regards,

Roger

Eugene Lutsenko

#9 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

Dear Roger!

Your arguments to me are clear also you, of course, by and large are right. But at me a problem of transformation of huge system (listing of the initial text by 6th font about 1000 pages А4) from under CLIPPER under Windows. Here I also think, how to me to facilitate this process. Or can be in general to write all anew, but it is extremely labor-consuming.

I not the electrical engineer. Base formation at me - the theoretical physics (the gravitation theory, the quantum mechanics, the quantum theory of a field), and then I have defended two dissertations under the theory of automated management and on mathematical and tool methods of economy. The term "breadboard model" probably not so successful, can be better "prototype" or 1st most simplified variant of the program. Besides the automated translator http:// http://www.translate.ru/ can deform sense.

And that you mean, when speak: "Will give time in Hanover"?

Eugene Lutsenko

#10 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

Has made the program of more flexible, has taken out include, libraries and functions in databases which are formed automatically if they aren't present and if them to correct in another way remain invariable: http://lc.kubagro.ru/Alaska/Downloads2.rar