Questions of zero level

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
Auge_Ohr

Re: Questions of zero level

#11 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,

why did you not use #xtranslate and a #include file ?
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Eugene Lutsenko
Location: Russia, Southern federal district, city of Krasnodar

#12 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

Most likely because not so I imagine as it to make. Show, how it to make, and probably I use.

Auge_Ohr

#13 Post by Auge_Ohr »

Eugene Lutsenko wrote:Most likely because not so I imagine as it to make. Show, how it to make, and probably I use.
look into C:\EXP19\Include for #xtranslate / #command
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Eugene Lutsenko

#14 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

I thank for council. I will try to study and understand. But it is functional from it a little after all that changes. Me the greatest possible filling of a database procfunc.dbf, containing conformity commands (procedures and functions) CLIPPER+TOOLS II and ALASKA+TOOLS III with use of libraries eXPress ++ interests.
Is and some more questions:
1. Why the two-dimensional file 10000 * 10000 isn't reserved?
2. Whether it is possible to process somehow graphic library, I used a kotra in CLIPPER that it could be used in ALASKA? I can give this library together with description NG.

BruceN

#15 Post by BruceN »

Dear Prof:

Let me give you a little history from an Express user.

We are a very small business. Originally it was myself, my wife, a good friend and his son. A number of years ago we had to convert our Clipper based POS program (around 400,000 lines of code) to a windows environment. We looked at numerous options. By far the easiest path was Roger's Express library and xbase.

Since then, my friend (who did the actual programming) retired and his son (who did support) left. It is now just me and my wife. Neither of us has had any real programming experience or training. We had to 'learn on the job'.

Roger's library made programming so easy that we could accomplish everything we've needed to. I will admit that numerous times we've gotten in over our heads, but the members of the board here have always been there to help out and resolve issues.

Last year I had to to one small project in native xbase. I couldn't believe how much more work it was than using Express! I hope I never have to do that again.

If you are looking for the simplest way to move a Clipper application into the modern world with the best possible support and help available, you cannot make a better choice than xbase and Express!!!!!!

If there's any other information i can offer that will be helpful, please feel free to ask here or email me.

As an aside... I did my undergrad work in EE and dropped out of a masters program in physics.

Bruce Neuman
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

Eugene Lutsenko

#16 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

I am grateful to you for your work and encouragement and is glad that I have possibility to communicate with you!

Auge_Ohr

#17 Post by Auge_Ohr »

Eugene Lutsenko wrote:Me the greatest possible filling of a database procfunc.dbf, containing conformity commands (procedures and functions) CLIPPER+TOOLS II and ALASKA+TOOLS III with use of libraries eXPress ++ interests.
we are talking about different things.
if you want to use your Cl*pper Source with Xbase++ you need nothing to "translate".
just compile it and link it and it should run ... maybe not fine, but it runs.

Express++ use #command which "wrapp" original Xbase++ Function / Class / Method etc.
to "learn" all these Commands and Parameter will take some Time, but to make a DBF from all Commands and Parameter meen that you know them.
you can search in Internet for "KEYWORD" for Xbase ( all Version ) like they used for Crossrefence Application like SNAP, DFlow or DOC.

IMHO first "learn" Express++, than you can try to make that what you want now.
Eugene Lutsenko wrote:1. Why the two-dimensional file 10000 * 10000 isn't reserved?
do you meen

Code: Select all

aArray := ARRAY[10000][10000]
as i know Xbase++ have a Limit to use it this Way but you can use AADD() instead up to about 1.5GB ( on 32bit with 4GB RAM )
Eugene Lutsenko wrote:2. Whether it is possible to process somehow graphic library, I used a kotra in CLIPPER that it could be used in ALASKA? I can give this library together with description NG.
you did not work with DOS, you work with Windows and its API.
Xbase++ will produce 32bit Win Application so none of your DOS Library will work any more.

so i would recommend just start with Express++ Sample and rewrite your Source so you get to the "real" Question which Newbie have comming from DOS.
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Eugene Lutsenko

#18 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

All is true, has understood, thanks, I will try

Eugene Lutsenko

#19 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

Prompt, please, convenient means of the organization hierarchical menu (tree)

To create two-dimensional files of the big dimension (at least 10000 x 10000) it does not turn out in any way, and it would be normal 100000 x 100000

Auge_Ohr

#20 Post by Auge_Ohr »

Eugene Lutsenko wrote:To create two-dimensional files of the big dimension (at least 10000 x 10000) it does not turn out in any way, and it would be normal 100000 x 100000
this is true and up to 2GB no Problem with Xbase++ when use AADD()... it is the Way with ARRAY[xxx].

when Additem a Treeview Node you need to allocate Memory for each Item.
same when use AADD() while ARRAY[] try to "grap" hole Memory ...

btw. a Array need a handle for each Item and Subitem !

when use native Control you have to manage Memory "manuell" so it is up to you
to "free" Memory or DeleteObject(). using Xbase++ you have a internal Memory
Management and a Part of called "Garbage Collectors".

p.s. why do you need 100000 in nWide ? i do not think Express++ have so many Parameter ;)
greetings by OHR
Jimmy