How many lines of code per day?

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: How many lines of code per day?

#11 Post by rdonnay »

Perhaps he meant to say 10 functions/procedures/base classes, or whatever - not lines. That might make more sense.
No. I double-checked on that.
He specifically meant lines of code because of the number of years he calculated to write the code.
He's talking "years" to write a single source file that I estimate would take the same number of "weeks".
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#12 Post by rdonnay »

I believe standards such as these are for lower level languages and larger level companies where they are including testing, debugging, "quality assurance", etc..
I thought about that too. When I calculated my eXpress++ code line average (at 278 lines per day) I considered all the time I spent on the code since I started the project 12 years ago, including tech support.

I used to program in Assembly language many years ago. These were the days of flow-charting, coding, assembling, printing the assembled code, burning the PROM, then hardware debugging. Even with all those steps, I still think that I averaged more than 10 lines per day.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

skiman

#13 Post by skiman »

Hi,

I started in 1986 with Coding. If I calculate the code I wrote since 1998, when I started with Xbase++ at 10 lines a day, working 250 days a year, it would be taken 106 years.

10 lines a day isn't realistic. This way no one could afford to have a program build for his own needs.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

BruceN

#14 Post by BruceN »

Our app has 4 main EXEs.. the main program, reports, utilities, and table manager. There are ~195k lines in all 4 with 115k in the main EXE.

I'm curious... how does that compare to other apps?
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

Cliff Wiernik

#15 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

My exe and dlls are 161 meg in size. It is large. Did not run Roger's program, but I would say total lines of 850,000 - 1,350,000. I will run when I have time.

jdsoft

#16 Post by jdsoft »

I typical month is 21 workdays,
So a typical programmer would make 210 lines of code every month.
Let say, the salary is 2100 Euro per month. So one line of code is valued 10 Euro.

Function Make_Money()
LOCAL ni
For ni := 1 To 31
If Dow() <> 7 .and. ;
Dow() <> 1
? "This is a workday"
endif
Next ni
? "We are done"
Return

Yes!! I just made 100 Euro !!! :lol: And, it did NOT take me one day! (maybe 90 seconds)
To be honest, i did not compile, and i dit not test.... That would take me 1 minute at the most.
Typical 10 lines = 1 day = 480 Minutes.
My function Make_Money() took me 3 minutes including compile and test.
Theoreticly i can write 160 of these programs in 1 day.
If this would add up, i could make 336.000 Euro every month (including comiling and testing). :whistle:
But sometimes i need to answer a phone, or drive to a customer.
I wil be satisfied if my customers pay me 168.000 Euro per month. (I even settle with 10% of that) :dance:

Regards,
Jack Duijf
Regards,
Jack Duijf

c-tec

#17 Post by c-tec »

Hello,
10 lines a day for a programmer cannot be true, because a whole project would cost too much. If you take about 50 $ per hour a line costs 40 $ when working 8 hours a day. My last project has about 95000 lines of code, I would be happy if I get 1 $ per line ;-)
Maybe they calculate the whole time of a project including planing, testing etc. in a big team.
It would be great to get more background infos about this issue, because then I have better arguments to my customers regarding my pricing.
regards
Rudolf
Rudolf Reinthaler
digital pen & paper systems
http://www.formcommander.net

Auge_Ohr

#18 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,

i just have "optimize" my last Project from 12468 Lines to 9687 Line ... did i "lost" 2781*10 Euro ?

yesterday i was sick so 0 Line = No Error ;)
greetings by OHR
Jimmy