Xbase++ & eXpress++ & xb2net who use ?

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
Victorio

Xbase++ & eXpress++ & xb2net who use ?

#1 Post by Victorio »

Hi

Please info, who has experience with it and develope web application with this ?

Every three tools are very powerfull, but I am not sure , if develope web app with this combination is good idea .
It is very difficult to learn next "languages" as HTML,HTML5,javascript, jQuery, ... syntaxes and mixing it to source in Xbase++ :think:

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: Xbase++ & eXpress++ & xb2net who use ?

#2 Post by rdonnay »

I have developed several Web-based applications using Xb2net.

Also, I have developed several applications using CX/P.

All have been written in Xbase++.

If you are starting something entirely from scratch, then maybe Xbase++ is not the right choice.

On the other hand, if you have a large inventory of libraries which you want to leverage, and also many, many of years of experience with Xbase++, then this could be exactly the right choice.

Regardless, I am not understanding why you think you need Xb2net for this. Xbase++ 2.0 has mostly everything you need whether you decide to use CX/P or HttpEndPoint for the Xbase++ code.

The Javascript code and the HTML code would be the same regardless of which language you chose for the server side.

Do you speak English well?
Do you have Teamviewer or Skype?
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

unixkd

#3 Post by unixkd »

Hi Roger

I guess I may be speaking the mind of numerous members of this forum. Many many Xbase++&Express++ developers want to develop web applications myself inclusive but does not really know how to start and accomplish this feat. You will be doing a great favor for this category of developers if you can publish one your web application for us to learn from. I make bold to tell you that majority of eXpress++ users became proficient in Xbase++/eXpress++ by going through the XDEMO.EXE which is a complete application on its own. Untill you do something similar to XDEMO.EXE may be call it WebXdemo.Blablaa this apprehension will continue and more questions like this will persist.

Thanks

Joe

bwolfsohn

#4 Post by bwolfsohn »

unixkd wrote:Hi Roger

I guess I may be speaking the mind of numerous members of this forum. Many many Xbase++&Express++ developers want to develop web applications myself inclusive but does not really know how to start and accomplish this feat. You will be doing a great favor for this category of developers if you can publish one your web application for us to learn from. I make bold to tell you that majority of eXpress++ users became proficient in Xbase++/eXpress++ by going through the XDEMO.EXE which is a complete application on its own. Untill you do something similar to XDEMO.EXE may be call it WebXdemo.Blablaa this apprehension will continue and more questions like this will persist.

Thanks

Joe
Joe,

We use all 3 apps.. and have extensive web application servers running our online auction... It is mucn more difficult to write a web server app than a dewsktop app.. IMHO.

xb2net has some good samples that are a starting point.
xbase++ now has an http endpoint which , theoretically can replace xb2net, but i'm sticking with xb2net due to all the investing functionality already built in, and it's rock sold history.

From my perspective, the main reason it's more difficult to do a web app, is the stateless condition of web pages, and the fact you are dealing almost exclusively with external requests which can, in and of themselves present a myriad of problems.. you may or may not control these external requests...
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

rdonnay
Site Admin

#5 Post by rdonnay »

Untill you do something similar to XDEMO.EXE may be call it WebXdemo
I have already done this.

Go to \exp20\samples\web20

Run PBUILD PROJECT.XPJ

Run CXPHTTPSERVER.EXE

Open a web browser.

Enter URL: http://<your computer name>:81/books4.cxp
This use Javascript which makes a call to books5.cxp to retrieve the XML for populating the Jquery jqGrid browse.

Also try books1.cxp, books2.cxp and books3.cxp.
These use no Javascript. Only HTML but look very good.

I have created this to work under CXP because it is so much easier.

Read about this in my CXP seminar whitepaper.
http://donnay-software.com/ds/Articles/Donnay_CXP.pdf

Here is a real-time application that is used to browse the roster database for the ship I served on in the U.S. Navy.
http://www.ussjek.org/dd787/roster.cxp

Eugene Lutsenko
Location: Russia, Southern federal district, city of Krasnodar

#6 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

Hey, Roger!

I'm also interested, because I also have a lot of libraries and many, many years of work on CLIPPER, Alaska and eXpress++ (since 1987). But I have this example C xp Http Server.XP did not compile. I'm using 1.9.

skiman

#7 Post by skiman »

Hi,

I tried for years to create a system that would work to create well looking webbased applications which were also responsive. Sorry to say, but it is very difficult to accomplish.

I found the best way is to divide it, don't mix you xbase and html. It will be very difficult to find a developer who masters both of them.

Since I divided it to a rest-API with xb2net and a webfront that is using the rest-API, everything is going much better.
- I have control at the backend in Xbase++. I can re-use all the business logic as I had before.
- Another developer is creating the client-side, by accessing the API. He doesn't know anything about dbf files or xbase. He is creating the CRUD app, which is responsive and looking very well. He is doing it in Angular.

In the last month I achieved more results than in the past 10 years.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Victorio

#8 Post by Victorio »

Hi everybody,

Roger, thanks for advice, I will look to its.
Sorry, I am not good in english, teamviewer I have, but no Skype (no on my computer now installed)

About HTTPEndpoint, as I know this works only with Proffesional Alaska Xbase++, but I have Foundation, because my solution was purchased XB2net, and Sql express, so another problem is that I purchased this without ssl support.

Also thanks to all of you, look for advices later, but now I have some problem with my home heating system, this is priority because winter coming ...

unixkd

#9 Post by unixkd »

Code: Select all

Since I divided it to a rest-API with xb2net and a webfront that is using the rest-API, everything is going much better. 
- I have control at the backend in Xbase++. I can re-use all the business logic as I had before.
- Another developer is creating the client-side, by accessing the API. He doesn't know anything about dbf files or xbase. He is creating the CRUD app, which is responsive and looking very well. He is doing it in Angular.

In the last month I achieved more results than in the past 10 years.
Hi Chris

Can you please post a sample of your rest-API that one can learn from ?

Thanks.

Joe

rdonnay
Site Admin

#10 Post by rdonnay »

But I have this example C xp Http Server.XP did not compile. I'm using 1.9.
These new web features are only in Xbase++ 2.0.