Network and ADS

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
omni

Network and ADS

#1 Post by omni »

Roger,

Further questions regarding using ADS. Same client who has been sort of scared to make a commitment due to the cost for a 100 user license.

Their main issue is slowness when other users are doing something that is using more server resources than normal, such as a very large report (date range) or their weekly invoicing, which processes 1,000-2,000 invoices. Very disk intensive operations. On occasions they just reboot their server and the response goes back to normal. They do not always know why the response has gone to a snails crawl.
Their prior issue with just files not opening has not come up recently.

For example. they may have drivers on the phone waiting for information, such as a rate on a load, and the autorating function, which is normally under 3 seconds, makes them wait an extended period. Sometimes a few minutes, which with their high volume is not acceptable.

Does the ADS eliminate these type of network slow downs, or is that just the nature of the network world. I have to go meet with them this month and need to know if I need to push ADS more, or find other resolutions.

I am sure others may have answers on this also...

Thanks

Fred
Omni

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: Network and ADS

#2 Post by rdonnay »

Does the ADS eliminate these type of network slow downs, or is that just the nature of the network world.
ADS will greatly improve both performance and reliability.

You will not see slowdowns and you will not have any more index corruption making it unnecessary to reindex every night.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Cliff Wiernik

#3 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

Plus, you should be able to get a 30-45 day evaluation license to test with.

bwolfsohn

#4 Post by bwolfsohn »

What cliff and roger have said is true...

But, it could still be an issue somewhere in the code.. You may need to look at elements of the design..
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

Cliff Wiernik

#5 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

You want to be certain to have sufficient index tags created so that you can utilized scopes to do your processing efficiently. We have 100+ users on the system and many large files.

Dian

#6 Post by Dian »

We have converted many of our processing intensive programs from record base operations to sql queries using ADS SQL. With by changing the data gathering to use sql, performance on reports have improved a lot. By requiring our clients to purchase ADS we now have almost no index corruptions, better performance on re-indexing and packing databases and faster response on reporting and processing. One of the greatest advantage of ADS is that it will handle record based or SQL, so you can convert time consuming operations one at a time without having to rewrite your entire application.

If I remember correctly the trial version of ADS is only for one user for 30 days, so that might not work in your situation with 100 users.

Cliff Wiernik

#7 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

If you contact your dealer, I think you can get a limited term demo for x number of users.