Screenshots requested

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
Tom

Re: Screenshots requested

#11 Post by Tom »

Some more.
Attachments
Another DCBROWSE.
Another DCBROWSE.
screen6.jpg (244.87 KiB) Viewed 50244 times
A DCSTATIC. Move dates, make them longer or shorter, shift days. Just subclassing.
A DCSTATIC. Move dates, make them longer or shorter, shift days. Just subclassing.
screen5.jpg (254.42 KiB) Viewed 50244 times
One DCBROWSE on the left hand side, one at the bottom. And in the middle, believe it or not, a DCSTATIC.
One DCBROWSE on the left hand side, one at the bottom. And in the middle, believe it or not, a DCSTATIC.
screen4.jpg (415.36 KiB) Viewed 50244 times
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Tom

#12 Post by Tom »

Two more.
Attachments
A DCBROWSE.
A DCBROWSE.
screen8.jpg (233.54 KiB) Viewed 50244 times
Some dialog elements. ;)
Some dialog elements. ;)
screen7.jpg (150.65 KiB) Viewed 50244 times
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."

sdenjupol148

#13 Post by sdenjupol148 »

Tom,

Excellent! :clap:

Bobby

rdonnay
Site Admin

#14 Post by rdonnay »

Tom -

Not only are you a great programmer but you are also a great artist.
I told you the last time I saw you in Germany that you are a "Renaissance Man".
I look forward to seeing you again.

I hope you are willing to show some of your code at our conference.

Roger
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Tom

#15 Post by Tom »

Thanks for the compliments. :)

My code is somehow very ... special. Most of this is done using subclassing and ownerdrawing. The main problem is to access the data inside the drawing routines, since the UI thread, where the drawing happens, works independent from the thread where the logic resides. Everything else is just a little playing around with GRA stuff - painting boxes and circles, loading icons and writing textes. The biggest thing is what you see in screen2.jpg. This is a monster. There are seven ways of drag&drop inside this one, cell marking, statistics and much more. It's highly customizable and looks different at each customer's site.

The calendar you see in two screenshots only resides on a static, which is an empty text static, nothing more. This control can be calibrated, showing the whole day or only one hour, as you want (Shift-Mousewheel). It can show a day, a week or any period you want. Dates can be extended or shortened, just by picking the border and moving it. Several dates can be picked at once and shifted together, like if you want to move all dates half an hour ahead. And so one. I played around with several tools for this, but no one of those was able to do what we want there.

Much work in this. Eight screenshots of some hundreds I could show.

I can't await to see you in Boise!
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."

skiman

#16 Post by skiman »

Tom,

This looks great. Ownerdrawing is the way to go, that's confirmed and proved by your screenshots.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Tom

#17 Post by Tom »

Hi, Chris.
Ownerdrawing is the way to go
In some situations, not in all. A browse with heavy ownerdrawing in it is exclusively used for data represenation, but it can't be used to manipulate the data anymore, like if you have an edit-browse where you're able to doubleclick and just enter data. Those things must be done in nested/hidden controls or in different dialogs. The ownerdrawing routines must reflect the screen resolution, DPI-settings and even the SCALEFACTOR from eXpress++ (which is a great feature!), since fonts, icons and other objects are created and used in there. All dialogs should look the same with all possible settings. Resizing columns changes everything - you can't place a 48x48-icon in a column which only has 20 pixels of width, so it must be recognized in the drawing methods. In the planning system (screen2.jpg), resizing one daily column causes all others to resize aswell, and if this happens, some recalculation is to be done.

I just played a little with 2.0, which provides new features based on HTML and CSS. I didn't come to that point yet, and I can't imagine it's possible to do what I'm currently doing with that, but it maybe a good step to improve application design without digging in the GRA-dirt. ;) Besides, some GRA-functions have little bugs, like GraPathClip() or even a GraBox() with rounded corners - sometimes.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."

rdonnay
Site Admin

#18 Post by rdonnay »

I just played a little with 2.0, which provides new features based on HTML and CSS.
What in particular did you play with? I tried XbpHtmlStyle(). It didn't help much and has some bugs.
I couldn't get it to work with XbpStatic() at all. I thought that if I could do that, then I could apply it to the dataArea of the XbpColumn() class because it inherits from XbpStatic().
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

bobvolz

#19 Post by bobvolz »

Thomas's screen shots are amazing. Showing you mine would be like comparing the kids drawings that we hung on the refrigerator to a Michealangelo.

See ya in Boise.

bwolfsohn

#20 Post by bwolfsohn »

bobvolz wrote:Thomas's screen shots are amazing. Showing you mine would be like comparing the kids drawings that we hung on the refrigerator to a Michealangelo.

See ya in Boise.
and bob's screens probably make mine look pretty...
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises