How to develop reports on the Web with CXP and Express

This forum is for conversations about Internet development using CXP, WebSockets, HttpEndPoint, etc.
Diego Euri Almanzar

How to develop reports on the Web with CXP and Express

#1 Post by Diego Euri Almanzar »

I know that I should stop insisting with the WEB GUI of the Express library, although from my point of view it is great. I am developing my EB GUI by another way. However, looking for alternatives to develop reports on the Web, I found an example of the Express library called CXPReports. I don't know if this example is what I'm looking for, to develop reports using DCPRINT SAY, or similar commands, and to work on the WEB. I was able to compile CXPReports successfully. But, a connection error occurs regarding an IP address. When I run the executable, the browser appears, with the following message:

This site cannot be reached 127.0.0.1 refused connection.

1 How can I solve this error? I don't know if CXPReports is really related to what I'm looking for, but I'm interested in seeing it run, since it would be my first experience in CXP, and with Express everything is easier to learn.

2. Is there an HTML option to render a PDF document on the Web, via Express or XBase++ commands?

Can someone help me?

Best regards.

unixkd

Re: How to develop reports on the Web with CXP and Express

#2 Post by unixkd »

Hi

I have no knowledge of web programming, but follow Roger sample on CXP during the early days of its release. In one of the sample Roger explained that to create report for web, just find a way to output your report to a pdf file and and then use the HTMLVIEWER to send it to the browser. In that case it will be possible to use existing report methods of Xbase++ to generate report for web applications.

Thanks

Joe

Tom

#3 Post by Tom »

Hi, Diego.
This site cannot be reached 127.0.0.1 refused connection.
This is your own machine; "127.0.0.1" is where "localhost" is routed to. The cxpreports sample tries to connect to a webserver on your computer, but there isn't one running if you just compile and start "cxpreports". This application tries to connect to a webserver at port 81 on your computer - a web server that is able to deal cxp requests. There is one to be found in the same directory. I didn't work with cxp yet, but it looks like the "cxpcompile.bat" contains something you may also need there. "cxpreports" is just a client applcation that calls the server to create a table and respond with it.

I'm not sure what you mean with "reports". Reports are complex forms filled with data and graphics. Sometimes, they are printed, sometimes they are just stored and/or shown. We use "Combit List&Label" as a report generator even for web applications, but it's the backend (the server) creating the forms, not the client (frontend).

Edit: Roger showed several samples to build CXP applications here in the forum. Just search a little.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Diego Euri Almanzar

#4 Post by Diego Euri Almanzar »

Hello Joe

I think your idea is great. If I found a solution like the one you indicate, it would be the most convenient for me. For a long time now, thanks to Roger, and the Express library, all my reports are converted into PDFs, as soon as they are generated. Now I need to upload them to the Web. I was looking in this form for examples of XbpHTMLViewer, and I only found two topics. And, in those topics, it doesn't show how to attach files in an XbpHTMLViewer.

Although I think Express's DCHTMLWINDOW function is more modern than XbpHTMLViewer, but I can't find examples of either function, to be run on the Web, or browser. I only find functions to run HTML in a desktop application. If you, Roger, or anyone else has an example of XbpHTMLViewer, or DCHTMLWINDOW , to run in a browser, and include a PDF display, that would be great, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

Diego Euri Almanzar

#5 Post by Diego Euri Almanzar »

Hello Tom,

you're so right, it's him backend (the server) that creates the forms, not the client (frontend). I learned that recently, with your information, both on this topic and on previous topics. I am very grateful. However, I need to upload those reports that I make backend, thanks to the Express library, I convert everything to PDF. Now I just need to upload them to the frontend. I think Joe has given me an excellent idea.

But I can't find any examples of XbpHTMLViewer, or DCHTMLWINDOW, to run in a browser, and include a PDF display. Look for examples in this forum, but I did not find. If you can help me, or if someone can help me, I will appreciate it.

Ah, thank you so much for the CXP thing. I'll try to run the BAT.

Thank you very much.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#6 Post by rdonnay »

Is there an HTML option to render a PDF document on the Web, via Express or XBase++ commands?
Diego -

When you ask an ambiguous question, you will not get anything but an ambiguous answer. Rendering on the Web is not an understandable question.
The Web is a term for a network architecture, not an application.

What do you mean by Rendering? Are you saying that you want to view a PDF in a Web Browser? If that is your objective, then why are you asking questions about HTML, XbpHtmlWindow, etc.

I suggest that you ask your question in an understandable context. Don't speak in terms that you don't understand. What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

What experience do you have in understanding the relationship between the web server and the web client? Do you know what a web server is? Do you know what a web client is? I don't know what CXPReports is, but what I do know is that there are no simple solutions to the design of web based systems and you should not delve into this until you understand this.

Roger
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Diego Euri Almanzar

#7 Post by Diego Euri Almanzar »

Roger,

I didn't know anything about Alaska Xbase++ I bought its first version, and I still didn't understand. Later, digging around the Web I discovered your library, and it is with your library that I was able to understand Xbase++, so I thank you for creating it. I've already bought all the versions of Alaska, and all the versions in your library, and I think I'm on the right track. I don't know anything about what you're asking me, I'm just your client. What I want is to present a PDF on the web, so as not to abandon the commands that develop reports, such as DCSAY.

Joe understood my point of view and recommended that I use DCHTMLWINDOWS to present the report on the WEB. Maybe DCHTMLWINDOW doesn't work for that, but since your library is so versatile, and ingenious, I thought to ask. On the other hand, I know that by selling your library, you are not selling support. But, as you are very generous and like to help, yesterday for the first time, I sent you an email, asking for your help to be able to compile any of the CXP examples developed with your library. The two CXP examples I found give me the same error, when running the BAT, the build breaks. This being the first support that I ask you directly, despite being your client for more than 15 years, I hope you can help me.

I attach the error in a screenshot.

Thank you.
Attachments
wwwrootError.jpg
wwwrootError.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 4291 times

rdonnay
Site Admin

#8 Post by rdonnay »

What I want is to present a PDF on the web, so as not to abandon the commands that develop reports, such as DCSAY.
This still makes no sense to me.
You are mentioning a PDF and a DCSAY in the same sentence.
They have nothing in common.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Auge_Ohr

#9 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,

XbpHTMLViewer() is based on "Internet Explorer" (IEframe.DLL) so it is not recommend to use it "Online" any more

Alaska have present WebUI at German User-Conferenz and made a Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fnD67pHfxQ

if you pay Subscription you can wait for it until Alaska release it

p.s. for Internet App you will need UNICODE

---

harbour HMG have a EDGE-WebView2 Sample
www.hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7012

and FineWin will bring CLASS TWebView() in next Release
https://forums.fivetechsupport.com/view ... =3&t=41862
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Diego Euri Almanzar

#10 Post by Diego Euri Almanzar »

I am very grateful to all of you, thanks Roger, thanks Jimmy. I was able to resolve the situation. More or less, I can already maneuver with CXP. I followed the logic of my reports as I always have, with Express. I also produce the PDF with Express techniques, and then render the PDF in the browser, with the simple HTML attached in this comment.

I was wrong, Xbase++ CXP is awesome, robust, great for web development.

I admit I'm afraid of, and not good at, hardware configurations, programs, or operating systems. Maybe that's why I never knew how to configure Xbase++ WAA. Not being able to configure WAA, 7 years ago, was frustrating. Then I bought version 2.0 of Alaska, and I couldn't set up CXP either. I even thought that CXP also depended on Apache, like WAA depends on it. From my point of view, configuring Apache is another terrible thing, very difficult. Due to these shortcomings of mine, I preferred to look for a Web framework for Xbase, to avoid my little knowledge of HTML and Web server configurations. 2 months ago, after 3 years of searching, I got a Web Framework. I wanted to share the idea this way, and was told that the Framework's views were deprecated, and it seemed you couldn't use modern CSS like Bootstrap. Anyway, for all the good suggestions I've been given in this forum, I made a point of learning HTML, and I made a point of learning how to install CXP, and its robust technology.
The first hurdle I encountered in my choice for CXP, is that every time I tried to build CXP projects, cxc-build would not run, and an error would appear stating that the INETPUB and WWWROOT folders were missing.

The only way to get around that hurdle is to uninstall Alaska Xbase++, then install IIS and Windows CGI, and finally re-install Alaska Xbase++. That is, IIS and CGI must be installed before Alaska Xbase++ is installed.

After solving this, I was able to run the CXP examples, inside the WWWROOT folder, via Workbench. In order to be able to execute a CXP outside of Workbench, it is necessary to develop a small program that serves as a Web server, through the HttpEndpoint() instruction, thus avoiding the use of Apache.
The impressive thing is that in a CXP source program, you can include HTML, JSON, Java, Xbase++, CSS, and perhaps other nomenclatures. Then CXC-BUILDER turns all of that into a DLL, or multiple DLLs. And, I suppose, this is an advantage in two aspects: speed in the views that are sent to the browser, and security to avoid the problems of hackers on the Web.

I have already developed examples using Bootstrap and other modern technologies, which you have recommended to me.

I was at the point of wasting the highest technology. But, thanks to you, I have reconsidered.

Best regards.

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <title>Title of the document</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <h1>PDF Example with iframe</h1>
    <iframe src="/defaultpdf/pdftmp4523.pdf" width="100%" height="500px">\par
    </iframe>
  </body>