Installing Alaska xBase++

If you are converting a text-based Clipper application, a FoxPro application or just writing an application from scratch, use this forum for your eXpress++ questions.
alepap

Installing Alaska xBase++

#1 Post by alepap »

Alaska xBase++ version 2.0 will install in C:\Program Files\Alaska Software\*.*

This is new. Before it was a C:\ALASKA\*.* installation. This change is required because they are providing a working environment call Workbench. The idea is nice. You have your text editor surrounded of interesting windows of comments, debugger, project management. You can see all your files, edit them, compile, run, etc from the Workbench.

Alaska is also providing updates. And this requires that the files are in specific folders on the disk. They do not recommend/like that we copy the files on other folders. (I´m not talking about the DLL that you need to provide with your application).

When you install or update, your variables like PATH, LIB, INCLUDE, XPPRESOURCE will be changed. You may have to edit them if you have older versions of xBase++.

The workbench places all new projects in the user document folder by default.
I don´t use the workbench, but I find it convenient and I try to use it when I test samples, it´s faster.

You can also use the compiler and linker in command mode from the folder of your choice, where your app reside.

If you have any questions installing xBase++, please reply to the posts in this section.

alepap

Re: Installing Alaska xBase++

#2 Post by alepap »

Your path should look like this

C:\DEV>echo %path%
..;C:\Program Files\Alaska Software\xpp20\bin;C:\Program Files\Alaska Software\xpp20\lib;...

I add the C:\Program Files\Alaska Software\xpp20\lib to avoid copying the dll files when I have applications in other directories.

If not, you can add it manually in windows, system, Advanced system settings, system properties, advanced tab, environment variables.