Welcome, introduction

If you are converting a text-based Clipper application, a FoxPro application or just writing an application from scratch, use this forum for your eXpress++ questions.
alepap

Welcome, introduction

#1 Post by alepap »

Thank you Roger for this forum dedicated to new users of Express++ and to people that are still in the text mode, getting to GUI mode using express++. I´m doing this experience now and I will post on this forum all the steps and new stuff that I learned to get my application to the GUI level. I hope that this helps others that have been waiting for a long time to get this conversion done.

bwolfsohn

Re: Welcome, introduction

#2 Post by bwolfsohn »

alepap wrote:Thank you Roger for this forum dedicated to new users of Express++ and to people that are still in the text mode, getting to GUI mode using express++. I´m doing this experience now and I will post on this forum all the steps and new stuff that I learned to get my application to the GUI level. I hope that this helps others that have been waiting for a long time to get this conversion done.
Welcome Alepap..

Were you at the conference ?? What is your name ??
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

rdonnay
Site Admin

#3 Post by rdonnay »

Oh yes, Alexandre was at the conference.
In my 25 years of speaking at conferences, Alexandre asked more questions than all others combined.

I am pleased that he has decided, this year, to get more involved with eXpress++.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

alepap

#4 Post by alepap »

bwolfsohn wrote: Welcome Alepap..
Yes Brian, I was at the conference. I added my picture on the BB. My full name is Alexandre Papillon.

alepap

#5 Post by alepap »

I´m trying to make an introduction.

I´m using dBase since 1986.
I wanted to compile to exe file. I got to Clipper summer 87. That was great.
Than I moved to Clipper 5, Clipper 5.01 and dBase to create/change dbf files.
Never really went into def files, dll, includes, object oriented. All functions, a lot of them, well defined and well organized.

After that, I got very depress when I got VisualObject.
I found Alaska xBase++ 1.82 to the rescue. Never used DBU but instead used FoxPro 2.6 to create/change dbf files.

Everything was backward compatible, dBase style, and appications became more and more complex.
So I had develop my own set of functions, menus, search and everything was fine until windows is moving.

Problems started when I moved to windows 7. Some things are not working well, and I really really want my application to look good, in other words, GUI or PALEGRAY like Roger would say.

So I moved to Alaska xBase++ 2.0 and got depress again when I realized there is no way around object oriented programming if you want to have a GUI application. You will have to use classes, objects, includes, dlls and it looks complicated.

eXpress++ is the solution to that. It´s a set of commands, functions, libraries, that takes care of all the object oriented programming to help you make applications faster, with fewer code lines. The best part of it, is that you still can do your own stuff using object oriented or xbase++ functions and commands.

This is amazing and it took me some time to understand how it works, what is needed, how to use the samples, how to set the proper environment and how to use this Bulletin Board support system. Once you have everything set, edit and compile your first sample, you will understand how great it is to be on board the eXpress++.

bwolfsohn

#6 Post by bwolfsohn »

Yes, Alexandre, we spoke quite a bit at the conference...

i had similar experiences with VO..

Again, welcome aboard..
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

sdenjupol148

#7 Post by sdenjupol148 »

Alexandre!
Welcome.

Glad to see you made it. :clap:

Bobby

alepap

#8 Post by alepap »

Hi Bobby

You and Roger have done a great job at the SW xBase conference.

It was nice to meet you.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#9 Post by rdonnay »

Alexandre -

Thank you for all the work you have put into your postings.
This will be much appreciated by the eXpress++ community.

Roger
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

alepap

#10 Post by alepap »

If theses post can help a few to understand the basics of Alaska xBase++ with eXpress++, my mission will be a success. For the rest, I´m sure that they will get a good attention from the regular eXpress++ forum.