Bar code readers

Xbase++ 2.0 Build 554 or later
bobvolz

Bar code readers

#1 Post by bobvolz »

Is anyone using hand held bar code readers for applications like physical inventory? I would like to simplify my physical inventory taking process by letting the inventory counters go from shelf to shelf and scan the labels with an option to enter a quantity other than 1. If anyone has developed something like this I would appreciate some pointers. Ideally, wireless would work the best or batch data collection that could be dumped into a database for processing.

Thanks

Bob Volz

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: Bar code readers

#2 Post by rdonnay »

I haven't used a bar code reader in a long time, but the one that I did use connected to the keyboard so it would emulate a keyboard input. If you want a wireless system, are you thinking of a wireless laptop or a tablet? A laptop would be the easiest because the app can be written in Xbase++, otherwise it would need to be a browser-based solution.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

sdenjupol148

#3 Post by sdenjupol148 »

Bob,

I've used them in the past.
We can go over it then next time we talk

Bobby

Piotr D

#4 Post by Piotr D »

Hi Bob,
I have made exactly, what you want. Main program, in which I collect all inventory, can print tickets with inventory ID as barcode (I use IDAutomationC128 fonts for this) or as QR-code (in this I use MW6QRCode). Next, I generate "package" with small program for physical inventory with empty database (for input) and another database with existing ID and names. This small program, which can be copied on pendrive. Pendrive can be used on other laptop with connected hand scanner - god idea is wireless scanner USB connected.
This inventory made two person - one with a hand scanner going and scanning tickets with barcodes /QR codes, the second with laptop proof if the ID was god scanned (if an GET field, after scanning program search name ot these detail and display name) and can change the default value (1) of scanned element.
Finally, this physical inventory is imported into main program/database, and main program compares the bases and searches for differences.

Piotr

Koverhage

#5 Post by Koverhage »

Bob,
we and our customers use thsi
Albasca Barcode-Scanner MK-2500 Laser, USB, Laser-Scanner
Klaus

Tom

#6 Post by Tom »

We created a mobile app which talks SOAP to a backend we created with Xb2.Net. The app is able to read any kind of barcode. The backend initiates the processes needed in that situation. We use QR, DataMatrix, PDR417 and EAN barcodes with that. If you have a smartphone, you don't need a barcode reading device.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

skiman

#7 Post by skiman »

Hi,

You have several possibilities.
1. Handheld scanner which works without any connection. These kind of scanners normally have a kind of inventory application in it. After scanning it generates a csv files, which you can import. It's a bit old fashioned but it works.
2. Create an application for an Android device. Not that easy. Your Android can work in combination with a SOAP server or REST API that you can create in xbase 2.0 of with xb2net.
3. Create a webbased application that works on any Android with BOA. You need to create an xb2net REST API and with BOA you have an online application which will work on any device. (https://www.boa-platform.com).
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Tom

#8 Post by Tom »

A mobile app reading a barcode image (which is a simple plugin) is not such a big hassle. Depending on the framework used, it's just a few clicks. If you can create a website, you maybe able to create such a simple app which sends the code created by a barcode reading plugin to any webaddress (like with Cordova or React). With tools like WebDev, AppGyver, PowerApps or so on, it's even faster.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

bobvolz

#9 Post by bobvolz »

Wow! Thanks guys. You gave me a lot of great suggestions. Currently my app creates a physical count file and prints count sheets
sorted by Bin for all the items that currently show on hand or have a bin number. Usually we are counting 3000-5000 part numbers. The counts are then entered in a browser sorted by Bin number until we have recorded a count for every entry in the count file. This is all done by 5 to 10 counters in the space of 4 or 5 hours. We stop all ins and outs when counting so we are on a time constraint. If the counter finds an item in the bin for which there is no count record they write it on the count sheet. When all counts and write ins are entered we overlay the parts master file on hand quantities with the physical count file quantities and print all kinds of discrepancy reports etc. We do a complete physical once a year in each of our stores so it's really a time constrained event. Spot checking bins is done constantly.
It sounds like a scanner with the build in app may be the easiest way despite being old fashioned. I just may buy one and try it out. There is a device from AT called an MB 1 that is a hand held scanner with the ability to record part number, lot and quantity that just might fit the bill. After that I may look at something more sophisticated that uses Soap. I have a soap server running now that could easily handle transactions processed from a device.
Thanks for all your help. You guys are great.

Bob Volz