Problem with DbCommit

Xbase++ 2.0 Build 554 or later
Piotr D

Problem with DbCommit

#1 Post by Piotr D »

Hi,
one of my customer report me problem which occurs on network (Windows Server 2012) stochastic. I have one file (FoxPro file DBF with FPT) in which I save in memo field some informations. From time to time an error occurs in line with DbCommit() (first I lock a record, then replace memo field with information, and flush buffers with DbCommit). GenCode is 8999, severity 2 and subCode 5381. Any idea what is wrong?

Piotr

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: Problem with DbCommit

#2 Post by rdonnay »

I think there is a network problem when this happens.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Auge_Ohr

#3 Post by Auge_Ohr »

as Roger say some Network Problem but we need much more Information.

Srv2012 and what Client OS() ?
Xbase++ Version 2.x ... does it work with v1.9x ?
3-PP Lib ?
where is your EXE ?

what is other Program are running on Server ? (SQL , Exchange ... )
Antivirus (Client / Server) ?

did you use Drive Letter or UNC Path ?
how does you DBESYS look like ?
did you have any SMB Registry modification ?

and how your Xbase++ Code look like ...
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

zolifree

#4 Post by zolifree »

I know what is this error. I searched the cause for months 2 years ago, as many client reported the same error.
It turned out the ESET antivirus programs like NOD32 causes it. You have to set the folder as exception in the antivirus program.

Later I found maybe other antivirus programs can cause this error too.
The synology cloud station causes the same error on my computer, which is syncyng files to a remote NAS.

I used NOD32 on my computer for many years without any problem, without setting the exceptions, and I not upgraded it to newer versions for years.
But when I upgraded to the latest NOD 32 the error started to appear often on my PC. At that time I tried to find this error at clinents, and this way I realized the newer NOD32 is the cause of the error. I checked the clients PC for NOD32 who has the errors, and all of them used it. After I set the exceptions in the NOD32, the errors disappeared at the clients.
I contacted ESET to prevent this error, because before it was not a problem in their program, but they replied DBF is old technology and they not want to work on that. They suggested to use SQL database.

The error comes with ZAP,CLOSE,Dbclosearea(),Dbcloseall() commands too, not just with DBCOMMIT. Commands when the program write to a DBF file.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#5 Post by rdonnay »

That's interesting.

I use ESET too but I haven't experienced this error, but then I don't have a very active network in my home office.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Piotr D

#6 Post by Piotr D »

Zolifree
thanks for your tips, I will look what antivirus is installed on this (customer) computer. One year ago I was little similar problem with McAfee antivirus. Problem occurs when open a DBF file for indexing. McAfee was configured in "scan all opened files in real time". When problem want open file for indexing, McAfee began with scanning and program crash with an error by opening file.

Piotr