set optimize/rushmore/smartfilter

Xbase++ 2.0 Build 554 or later
Cliff Wiernik

set optimize/rushmore/smartfilter

#1 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

I turned these settings off back in 2005. I know the default is to have them on.

What is everyone's experience with these factors and should they be turned on or off?

SET OPTIMIZE OFF
SET RUSHMORE OFF
SET SMARTFILTER OFF

bwolfsohn

Re: set optimize/rushmore/smartfilter

#2 Post by bwolfsohn »

off
off
off
been that way since the flood...
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises

skiman

#3 Post by skiman »

Hi,

Also all on OFF here.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Tom

#4 Post by Tom »

off off ON. Sometimes.

SMARTFILTER is a good technique if a browse contains a large, filtered database. XbpBrowse collects the matching records while browsing the database, so the filter is evaluated only once for each record, while the record number is stored in an array after that. You can watch a XbpBrowse getting faster and faster with this - IF you browse large, filtered databases, which is not a good idea in most of the cases. I used that in a very large transaction table which uses scopes, but in special situations, the data can be filtered in addition. SMARTFILTER helps to increase the speed of this a little.
I turn it off again after closing the dialog. If the table changed, a DbRefresh() must be done to reset the array (or whatever is used for this).

I never touched RUSHMORE or OPTIMIZE. They seem to belong to those one or two dozend things Alaska started to invent and forgot to complete.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Cliff Wiernik

#5 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

The reason I asked is we had a former foxpro programmer that use using locates instead of scopes in our indexed database to find items. I think I recall that foxpro had these features and I thought that was why he used the locate as the foxpro implementation may have intelligently used indexes and scopes. I have never used them myself and they were turned off based on recommendations many years ago.

Cliff