Southwest Xbase++ 2014: Call for Speakers (reminder)

Announcements about new features or events.
swxbase

Southwest Xbase++ 2014: Call for Speakers (reminder)

#1 Post by swxbase »

Just a reminder that session proposals for Southwest Fox 2014 and Southwest Xbase++ are due by 8 AM EDT this Friday, March 21. If you’re interested in speaking, please see http://www.swfox.net/callforspeakers.aspx for instructions. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rick

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: Southwest Xbase++ 2014: Call for Speakers (reminder)

#2 Post by rdonnay »

I can't think of anything to talk about this year.

I don't want to do any more eXpress++ workshops.
Nobody will be interested in another session on "Owner drawing" or "RmChart".

Any ideas?
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Cliff Wiernik

#3 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

Express++ workshops were the best part of it. I learned the most from these.

SQL Access to ADS using data dictionaries
Access and searching data available from government, sort of like the OFAC type processes
How to approach doing internet based communications using xb2net. Things like doing http connections, SOAP transactions.
General concepts on how to use SQL in a common Express++ application with browse windows, standard file updates. How you approach it in SQL.
How best to do an Express++ environment with SL1 and Xbase++2.0 concurrently.

TWolfe

#4 Post by TWolfe »

How about an eXpress++ wine tasting?

Cliff had a lot of good ideas. -- The use of SQL through eXpress++ would be a valuable presentation.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#5 Post by rdonnay »

I did a lot of sessions on SQL and Advantage over the past few years.

I use SQL with eXpress++ quit a bit, but I think that topic has also been covered.

Personally, I think that my most valuable tool is the TX_Browse() system.
It's written using eXpress++ code, but it's entirely object oriented.

This is used extensively in an application used by an auto transmission rebuilding and sales facility out of Omaha, Nebraska.
The stores and manufacturing facilities all use the system.
It handles repair orders, purchasing, inventory, manufacturing control, etc.

There are over 300 databases used by this system.
Each one has a custom browse/editing system, but they are all built around the TX_Browse() system.

This system is powerful and flexible and is absolutely necessary for creating a large system that can be built and maintained by only 2 programmers.

I could talk about that, but I don't know how many eXpress++ users would be interested.
It also uses SQL, or not. That's simply an option.

I'm planning a 7000 mile trip around the country in May and June.
I don't think I will have time or the inclination to do sessions and workshops this year.
I have never missed a year speaking at a conference since 1991. I need at least one year off.

Cliff Wiernik

#6 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

Roger,

Are you still planning on attending though. I missed last years conference and would like your insights on how to use the new features of Xbase++2.0 from an Express++ point of view. Also, cuts a day of the conference if you were not doing a pre-conference.

There have been SQL presentation with Express++. What is still unclear is adapting this to the transaction processing situation where you update one account at a time, not numerous accounts. Typical get transaction entry screen, with a multitude of lookups/validation popups at the field level, browses for master file selection, with incremental seeking, then the posting and update where you edit/update the single master record, select other master file related records and append history records. How this is different than the standard ADS/DBF/CDX approach. Also, how to address a main master file browse, main screen where the browse has 10-15 fields display, 20 records per page, with multiple ordering possibilities based on the columns and incremental seeking on most columns, when active. Master file has 200000-300000 records. How is that translated to the result set concept (cursor) of SQL and still be lightning quick without pauses that user has to waite for.

Cliff.

Koverhage

#7 Post by Koverhage »

I could talk about that, but I don't know how many eXpress++ users would be interested.
I'm interested, but can't travel for this. Maybe youn can make a buyable presentation (video, powerpoint, ebook) ?.
Klaus

rdonnay
Site Admin

#8 Post by rdonnay »

Cliff

I'm not sure if I am going this year. I have never missed a conference, however I feel that xbase++ has become stagnant and that I have nothing new to offer. You may, or may not, be able to benefit from SQL. ISAM has significant advantages for many applications. I have had to give up some important features when shifting to SQL. To me, the biggest advantage is database maintenance. There will probably be lots of SQL sessions this year. Alaska is not happy when I talk about ADS because it removes focus from their 2.0 SQL technology. When they finally release 2.0 then I will probably find reasons to participate again.

unixkd

#9 Post by unixkd »

Hi Roger

Is TX_Browse() in express sample ?

Joe.

TWolfe

#10 Post by TWolfe »

rdonnay wrote:Cliff
When they finally release 2.0 then I will probably find reasons to participate again.
It is my hope that we will all still be alive and able to maintain our code bases that long. I have maintained my subscription to the Alaska product even though a new usable product has not been released for nearly 4 years, I wonder how much longer this will make sense.

I am very thankful that a stable base exists and that I have not wasted countless hours on empty promises for the past few years. This is not unlike the reasons that many of us stayed with 'Summer 87' until xBase++ came along. There are many features I would like to use, (touch screen browse objects etc look very interesting), but a 'CTPxx Release' is not a released software product and can not be the base for a commercial product.

I will attend the xBase++ conference when a usable update to the core product is released. eXpress++ has continued to evolve and grow and I gladly pay the update and maintenance cost to Roger each year. I would attend an eXpress++ conference/users group meeting if one is planned.

Perhaps Roger's absence from the conference will send a strong message to Alaska. It is time to release a product with some usable new features and show some value to the subscription process.

Terry