Set CPU

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
Tom

Re: Set CPU

#11 Post by Tom »

In addition: Having more and more Terminal Server Topologies running out there ("cloud"), it end's up with using a single core is not such a bad idea at the end.
We offer our customers various processor selection strategies (random, balanced, prioritized), and since the application is mostly just waiting for user input anyway, this works excellently.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

unixkd

#12 Post by unixkd »

Hello everyone there.

Are there reasons why Alaska is avoiding multi core support and 64bit application

I am just being curious.

Thanks

Joe

Tom

#13 Post by Tom »

Hi, Joe.

I remember that Alaska explained they don't want to support two different versions. 32 bit is still needed, since lots of ActiveX-controls don't support 64 bit, and there may be still some computers out there with XP or Windows 7 on them. And for a short time, Xbase++ did support multicore situations, but that was a mess (in 1.8 or so).
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."

unixkd

#14 Post by unixkd »

Hi Tom

Thanks again for your response. If multi core support truely improve performance then it would have been better for Alaska to fix the problem rather than abandoning it albinitio.

As per 64bit Alaska may need to find a way to accommodate it since it allows applications to access more memory.

Thanks

Joe

Tom

#15 Post by Tom »

As per 64bit Alaska may need to find a way to accommodate it since it allows applications to access more memory.
Which turns into a big problem. Tools like List&Label get better and better - and bigger and bigger. That forced us to play around with the memory usage settings for Xbase++-applications (XPP_CFG_MOM_MEMORYSPACE), which allows to set the memory reserved for the application itself (and the memory left over for tools loaded by the application), but only as a part of the 2 GB it can use at maximum. With every new version of L&L (and other 3rd party products), we start playing again. In an age of infinite memory, this is kind of gross. :(
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."

k-insis

#16 Post by k-insis »

Imho probably lack of will and financial resources to hire people capable to implement multi-core and upgrade compiler and libraries to 64bit.
unixkd wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:34 am Hello everyone there.

Are there reasons why Alaska is avoiding multi core support and 64bit application

I am just being curious.

Thanks

Joe

k-insis

#17 Post by k-insis »

hi mr Tom

Out of curiosity , how big is memory footprint of L&L for something like general ledger or invoicing report?

Am thinking about finaly going for L&L or biting sour apple and and just offload report generation to app server and use one of open source reporting tools to produce html5/pdf reports.
Tom wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:16 pm
Which turns into a big problem. Tools like List&Label get better and better - and bigger and bigger. That forced us to play around with the memory usage settings for Xbase++-applications (XPP_CFG_MOM_MEMORYSPACE), which allows to set the memory reserved for the application itself (and the memory left over for tools loaded by the application), but only as a part of the 2 GB it can use at maximum. With every new version of L&L (and other 3rd party products), we start playing again. In an age of infinite memory, this is kind of gross. :(

Tom

#18 Post by Tom »

how big is memory footprint of L&L for something like general ledger or invoicing report?
I can't tell you exactly. The component eating the most resources is the runtime form designer. At least, there should be around 400 MB available for L&L.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."

SlavkoDam

#19 Post by SlavkoDam »

Hi,

Here is a demo program of multi CPU usage. Try it.
Attachments
MP.zip
(3.08 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
Best regards,

Slavoljub Damnjanovic
SD-SoftDesign, Alaska Software Technology Partner
https://www.sd-softdesign.com
https://www.sd-softdesign.rs