My Wordle sentence of the week

Discussion of any topic that lifts your mind or your spirit
rdonnay
Site Admin

My Wordle sentence of the week

#1 Post by rdonnay »

Wordle is a popular game, played every day, on your computer, for English speaking people, and sponsored by The New York Times.

The purpose is to guess a new 5-letter word, posted each day, based on a few simple rules, with up to 6 tries.

My friends and I have been playing it for many months, and we decided we would each compose a single sentence from the 7 words of the week.

Here is my sentence for this week:

ABOVE all others, it was the WORSE dance TREND ever, and was started in a MOOSE lodge in Minnesota after a bunch of alcoholics, drunk on mead made from maple SYRUP, invented the SQUAT POLKA.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: My Wordle sentence of the week

#2 Post by rdonnay »

ChatGPT made this sentence from the same 7 words:

The TREND of warmer winters has led to a decline in the MOOSE population, which is made even WORSE by the fact that SYRUP production is also decreasing ABOVE the SQUAT maple trees that line the forest floor where the POLKA-dotted mushrooms grow.

So I challenged ChatGPT to make a new sentence from the same words that was funny and did not need to be true.

As the MOOSE attempted to do the POLKA dance in the SYRUP factory, he realized he was WORSE at it than the humans ABOVE him who were trying to do SQUATs, and then suddenly a TREND of moose-based dance moves swept the nation.

So what, I ask, do you think we have learned from this? Are you afraid of ChatGPT?

Tom

#3 Post by Tom »

Are you afraid of ChatGPT?
I'm not afraid of ChatGPT itself.

ChatGPT is not intelligent. It does not know anything, it doesn't know the meaning of words, it doesn't have a context and no knowledge as we define knowledge. It's just a (very sophisticated) statistical algorithm using a very, very, very large database. And this database is from humans. ChatGPT is just guessing the next best matching word. The results of this procedure are impressive. But the system is using the work and creativity of humans who won't get paid for what they delivered, like artists, programmers, scientists and so on. ChatGPT is remixing knowledge.
I am concerned about the laziness and carelessness the system encourages. And the database will not grow anymore if more and more people use ChatGPT. It will flatten everything. I'm worried about the many people who may now be taking the easier path. And who don't think about how this path came about.

Besides this, it's a genius tool. It helps improving the speed of what we call "monkey work".
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

rdonnay
Site Admin

#4 Post by rdonnay »

Besides this, it's a genius tool. It helps improving the speed of what we call "monkey work".
I agree, that there is nothing to fear from these AI bots, however I have friends who are afraid.

They don't understand much about how they work.

I try to explain to them that they do not have "agency", nor are they "self aware" or "innovative".

Alan Turing would agree.

skiman

#5 Post by skiman »

Hi,

In my opinion Chat GTP is more that a genious tool. It can really help in your work. I'm using it to ask questions and to talk/discuss with it. It remembers what it 'said' to you, so in a 'discussion' you can refer to previous answers you got and ask for clarification.

In my software I have since years a Purchase proposal which is based on a lot of parameters. I asked ChatGTP how I should do it and it gave me the answer to use EMA. I asked what this is and it explained me what Exponential Moving Average (EMA) is. At the end I asked a sample in xbase and I used it to implement it in my Purchase proposal. The result is quite better than before.

Chat GTP didn't invent EMA, but with this help I understood what it is and I was able to improve my product.

I look at ChatGTP as some kind of professor which you can ask all kind of questions. The answers it gives are quite relevant and you can dig as far as you want.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be