Xbase++ AES

This forum is for general support of Xbase++
unixkd

Xbase++ AES

#1 Post by unixkd »

Hi All

Anybody with exprience of using Xbase++ AES with ADSDBE, and what is the performance Like ?

Thanks.

Joe.

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: Xbase++ AES

#2 Post by rdonnay »

Are you wanting to encrypt the entire database or just specific fields?

Bobby Drakos is using AESEncrypt / AESDecrypt on SSNo fields and ADSDBE with no performance degradation.
Performance would not be a function of ADS anyway, it would be a function of the encryption algorithm and that is very fast.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

unixkd

#3 Post by unixkd »

Hi Roger

One of our customers, a Micro-Finance Bank required that all the data of their application (the entire database) and communication layer be encrypted for obvious reasons. I read in ADS doc that their is ADS AES add-on for 128-bit and 256bit encryption. I contacted SAP via email about the licensing cost without response.

We need this urgently

Joe.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#4 Post by rdonnay »

If you already own ADS, then there is no additional cost.
It is a regular feature.

If you are considering ADS only for encryption, then that is probably not necessary.

If you do all your replaces using one function, then you can use AESEncrypt() on a field by field level.

For example, if you are using DC_DbGather() and DC_DbScatter() it would be very easy.

Cliff Wiernik

#5 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

I think what Joe is talking about is the Addon FIPS Encryption Security Option for ADS. That provides AES encryption for ADS versus the default (I think 160 bit) encryption that ADS provides by default. Based on my price listing, we are a dealer, the cost per user is 1-50 users $25/user; 51-249 users - $16/user; 250+ users - $8/user and $1950 for unlimited users. You match the number of users to your licensed users for the server. Then when you upgrade ADS versions, the upgrade per user costs are: $6/$4/$2 and $485-unlimited.

Cliff

unixkd

#6 Post by unixkd »

rdonnay wrote:Are you wanting to encrypt the entire database or just specific fields?

Bobby Drakos is using AESEncrypt / AESDecrypt on SSNo fields and ADSDBE with no performance degradation.
Performance would not be a function of ADS anyway, it would be a function of the encryption algorithm and that is very fast
Where can I find the ESEncrypt / AESDecrypt

rdonnay
Site Admin

#7 Post by rdonnay »

Where can I find the ESEncrypt / AESDecrypt
They are functions in the Xbase++ Professional version.