FROM DAY LONG FORGOTTEN

This forum is for posting of useful information
John Hohensee

FROM DAY LONG FORGOTTEN

#1 Post by John Hohensee »

I have a customer that still uses CLIPPER and runs his bussiness years, the original code was written by the well known individual the creater of NORTON ANTI-VIRUS using CLIPPER 87 the version that could not create databases inside of the code. When modification to his code to allow for year 2000 which the original did not have the ability to do ever thing went ok. Now new thing were requested and I have a real problem with the browse that uses the TBROWSEDB as it always did, except now when changes area done and ESC is pressed to go out all action are shown like each step that you did until you get back to menu. Tried everything I could think to dump the KEYBOARD and nothing works. Even tried running the the system using DRDOS 7.02 instead of Windows 98 Second Edition all with the same results. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: FROM DAY LONG FORGOTTEN

#2 Post by rdonnay »

except now when changes area done and ESC is pressed to go out all action are shown like each step that you did until you get back to menu.
John -

Please explain what you mean by this.

Roger
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

John Hohensee

#3 Post by John Hohensee »

Just like using a internet browser and pressing the < icon you go back one step at a time until you finally arrive at your starting point. All changes and the original are shown as you pass the individual steps back to the main menu. Have tried KEYBOARD ""
that is supposed to dump the bending keys pressed and SET KEYBOARD TO 0 that is supposed to remove all type ahead without any success. The original program was written with CLIPPER 87 by the now very famous MR. NORTON himself the application is now being compiled with CLIPPER 5.01 these problems just started appearing. I think maybe the compiler CLIPPER.EXE may have become corrupted. Other problems that would show would be alias for a file opened when you go to another part of the program and try to select F_ITEM one of the alias at the startup use MSTIEM indes IDITEM, IDCAT, IDNAME alias F_ITEM would not find select F_ITEM although select 1 the area that it started from would work. See the little example:

procedure Open_Files()
select 1
use MSTITEM index IDITEM, IDCAT, IDNAME alias F_ITEM
return

procedure Main_Menu()
goto MAINTAIN()

procedure Maintain()
select F_ITEM <- this would fail ALIAS NOT FOUND

Really frustrating.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#4 Post by rdonnay »

What is the reason that you don't compile the code in Xbase++?
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

RDalzell

#5 Post by RDalzell »

John,

Change the "SELECT 1" to "SELECT 0"
This will then select the dataarea based upon the alias name.

Also change the "goto MAINTAIN()" to "DO MAINTAIN"

Rick

John Hohensee

#6 Post by John Hohensee »

Roger I would really like to change this to use the power and now more comfortable with your code. The customer uses very old notebooks in the field with Windows 98SE and your software won't run on that. I have started a version of the Super.prg that will run on his Windows XP home system to read the results from his days activities. The program called TRUCK will have to stay as a CLIPPER application until he has to update to newer notebook that have Windows 2000 or better.

Thanks rDalzell for the suggestion to put select 0 at the end of File_Open() routine. I will give that a try, I may have missed that in the original verision created back in 1989.

John Hohensee

#7 Post by John Hohensee »

I finally got this stupid program to work. Here is a snippet of the last weird actions that had to be done because of the ALIAS failures.

if F_TRTMPITM->TYPE = "D"
if F_TRTMPITM->CATEGORY # nCat
nRecNo := F_TRTMPITM->( recno() ) // Had to remember where it was
Cat_Sumry( nCat, nMsrpExt, nCostExt ) // <- only prints number given
Inc_Line( 1 ) // Check for end of page, Header of nothing :REMOVING THIS AND IT WORKED
use TRTMPITM alias F_TRTMPITM // ReOpen the stupid file to set up the alias
F_TRTMPITM->( dbgoto( nRecNo ) ) // Go back to the record we were at.
nCat := nCat + 1
nCat := F_TRTMPITM->CATEGORY // THIS WOULD FAIL - NO VALID ALIAS
nMsrpExt := 0
nCostExt := 0
endif

Stupid action required but it worked! Thanks for the help given. I hope he gets newer notebooks so I can go Express++

John Hohensee

#8 Post by John Hohensee »

Just to show how frustrating this task with Clipper 5.2e has been. The folder that contain the Clipper are on both my Windows XP Pro version computer and also on a Window 98SE computer. When compiled on the XP machine all works edit is saved life is good. When compiled on the 98SE computer edit does NOT save life if frustrating. Both folder and code are the same, this should not be happening http://bb.donnay-software.com:8080/phpB ... &f=6&t=119#