My Review of High West Whiskey

Discussion of any topic that lifts your mind or your spirit
rdonnay
Site Admin

#1 Post by rdonnay »

My very good friends, Kurt and Melissa Guseman came for a visit recently and brought me a bottle of HIGH WEST Whiskey from Utah. The label says:

CAMPFIRE
Made with Straight Rye Whiskey, Straight Bourbon Whiskey, and Blended Malt Scotch Whiskey.
LIMITED SUPPLY
Bottled by HIGH WEST DISTILLERY, PARK CITY, UTAH
46% Alcohol by volume

I have rarely drunk an alcoholic beverage that has given me memories that I have shared with others over the years. The first that I can remember was a bottle of Ginseng Wine from Korea. I talk about it often. Why? Because it was the most awful thing I ever drank. It haunted me for years because I couldn’t get the memory of that aftertaste out of my head. I wish that I had saved that bottle so I could share my experience with my friends over the years. I have similar memories of drinking Greek wine in Queens, NY.

Now, I have a new memory, but this time I am saving the bottle of High West Whiskey and I intend to share tastes of this concoction with my friends who appreciate good bourbon, whiskey and scotch. They won’t believe what I tell them unless they taste it for themselves.

My first thought was how were they able to capture both the campfire aroma and the feeling that I was drinking something that could quite literally kill me. It tasted like charred wood from the campfire has been soaking in isopropyl alcohol for a very long time, possibly even since the great migration to Utah in the 19th century.

It is quite understandable why there is a limited supply, most likely because the only persons who would experiment with a whiskey from Utah are tourists who visit the ski resorts of Park City and are not familiar with Utah’s long-standing adventures with alcoholic drinks due to religious intolerance. It is doubtful that the locals are imbibing this unpalatable mountain dew.

I didn’t taste it while Kurt and Melissa were here, because I have nasal polyps that affect my ability to taste and smell. So, I made an appointment with my ENT to get my annual Kenalog shot, which shrinks my polyps and gives me back my olfactory senses. I couldn’t wait to taste it and when I finally had my taste back, I opened the bottle, poured it over ice, and shared a glass with my friend, Rick. We both noted the effluvious exhalation from the glass and agreed that I must write a review of this hybrid potion.
Here are a few words that best characterize my experience:

Unforgettable, haunting, historic, noteworthy, consequential, arresting, immortal.

Roger Donnay
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Tom

Re: My Review of High West Whiskey

#2 Post by Tom »

:lol:
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

sdenjupol148

Re: My Review of High West Whiskey

#3 Post by sdenjupol148 »

Just a little clarification.
The Greek wine that Roger drank in Queens was at a Greek tavern that served excellent food.
The wine in question was actually Greek Retsina and despite my strong advice to not drink it since I knew it wasn't good, Roger was adventurous.
At least it left him with a memorable experience, lol

Bobby