100 years of Relativity

Discussion of any topic that lifts your mind or your spirit
rdonnay
Site Admin

100 years of Relativity

#1 Post by rdonnay »

Albert Einstein never received the Nobel prize for his greatest contribution to our knowledge of the universe.

If Einsteins General Theory of Relativity could have been proven earlier than the year 1919, maybe the Nobel committee would have recognized him. 100 years ago, Arthur Eddington traveled to Africa to prove his theory during a solar eclipse. After that, Einstein became famous around the world.

In 2017, I travelled to the Grand Teton mountains, near Yellowstone, to see an eclipse for myself. It was a magical experience.

I sat there with 2 children who were there with their father, a science teacher, who came to teach them about science.

In a time in the world when science is under attack by right-wing Christian fundamentalists (lead by our president), it was inspiring to see that maybe the next generation will not be so ignorant and can save humanity from destroying itself.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

bwolfsohn

Re: 100 years of Relativity

#2 Post by bwolfsohn »

Ellen & I traveled to friends in North Carolina to watch the last full eclipse a couple of years ago... It was wondrous.. The next eclipse in April 2024 travels dead center through the ranch that holds the Kerrville Folk Festival where i've been for over 3 weeks already.

They are already making plans for a music festival around the eclipse..
Brian Wolfsohn
Retired and traveling around the country to music festivals in my RV.
OOPS.. Corona Virus, so NOT traveling right now...
http://www.breadmanrises.com
FB travel group: The Breadman Rises