Hlp File

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
omni

Hlp File

#1 Post by omni »

Roger,

I know this is not really a software issue, but I was wondering if you, or anybody else, has any good results with help software conversion. We have had on line help in the .hlp format since we started windows. We need to convert to chm files (html help) and see quite a few vendors that do this quite inexpensively, but just wanted to see if anybody else had any good, or bad, experiences. If it matter, our current software is forehelp, off the market quite a while but works for xp and prior operating systems.
We will also need to continue to update the new help file, so it will have to be a package that does both, not just a conversion tool.
(First one I saw was Scribble)

Thanks

Fred
Omni

omni

Re: Hlp File

#2 Post by omni »

Roger,

I did not receive any responses to this, which is fine. I can test and convert based on what I find on the web.

One major question...does express support the chm help files? Not sure if your dcgetoptions are limited to .hlp files.
Since the .hlp files are becoming obsolete, I would assume that it does...but want to be sure.

Thanks

Fred
omni

rdonnay
Site Admin

#3 Post by rdonnay »

Fred -

I have not pursued creating a .CHM file.
I wrote a program, many years ago, that converts my XDOC.DBF database to either .HTM or .RTF.
I used the windows help compiler to compile the RTF into a .HLP file.

I don't know what the source looks like for .CHM files, but if you know of something that will build .CHM from .HTM or .RTF, please let me know.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Tom

#4 Post by Tom »

We use "Help & Manual" (http://www.ec-software.com/), which is a very comfortable documentation system. It creates any kind of output, a well formatted printable manual and all variants of Windows help files aswell - from the same source. Really good software.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Koverhage

#5 Post by Koverhage »

i use Html Help Workshop and a web editor

search for hlp2htm, convert your help files

Then run your favor editor.
Klaus