moving xbase/express to new computer

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
BruceN

moving xbase/express to new computer

#1 Post by BruceN »

I've got old shit (ok, I'm old also)... I replaced my laptop and am trying to get alaska/express working on the new one.

I copied the whole alaska folder and exp19 folder (told you it was old) onto the new computer and edited the environmental variables as follows:

include:
C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\INCLUDE;C:\ALASKA\XBTW32\INCLUDE;c:\exp19\include

lib:
C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\LIB;C:\ALASKA\XBTW32\LIB;c:\exp19\lib

path:
{existing path};C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\BIN;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\LIB;C:\ALASKA\XBTW32\LIB;c:\exp19\bin19_sl1;c:\exp19\bin19;c:\exp19\bin

xppresource:
C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\BITMAP;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\ICON;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\FONT;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\POINTER

xpproot:
C:\ALASKA\XPPW32

This is what I have done in the past to move alaska to a new computer and it worked. This time it didn't.. I get 'preporcessor include files not found' hint: dcdialog.ch

What stupid little thing am I overlooking???

thanks, bruce
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

k-insis

Re: moving xbase/express to new computer

#2 Post by k-insis »

If you run this in cmd, does it output valid path for include?

echo %include%

BruceN wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:23 pm I've got old shit (ok, I'm old also)... I replaced my laptop and am trying to get alaska/express working on the new one.

I copied the whole alaska folder and exp19 folder (told you it was old) onto the new computer and edited the environmental variables as follows:

include:
C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\INCLUDE;C:\ALASKA\XBTW32\INCLUDE;c:\exp19\include

lib:
C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\LIB;C:\ALASKA\XBTW32\LIB;c:\exp19\lib

path:
{existing path};C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\BIN;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\LIB;C:\ALASKA\XBTW32\LIB;c:\exp19\bin19_sl1;c:\exp19\bin19;c:\exp19\bin

xppresource:
C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\BITMAP;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\ICON;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\FONT;C:\ALASKA\XPPW32\RESOURCE\POINTER

xpproot:
C:\ALASKA\XPPW32

This is what I have done in the past to move alaska to a new computer and it worked. This time it didn't.. I get 'preporcessor include files not found' hint: dcdialog.ch

What stupid little thing am I overlooking???

thanks, bruce

Auge_Ohr

#3 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,

"where" do you put it into Environment :?:
there was a *.REG after "install" to "put" it into Registry (of User)

you can use this to check/edit

Code: Select all

rundll32.exe sysdm.cpl,EditEnvironmentVariables
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

BruceN

#4 Post by BruceN »

I added/edited them in the 'environmental variables' window (same one that pops up when I run your command.) They show correctly. (I should mention I'm running win 10.)

Running the echo command shows the right value.

I get the error whether I run from VX 2.0 or pbuild from command line - and only happens when I use EXP19. A small older stand alone xbase exe compiles fine.
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

BruceN

#5 Post by BruceN »

I'm dead in the water..... my old computer has given up the ghost. My 'new' laptop (well, new to me) can't compile anything that uses express.

Admittedly, I'm semi-retired (and only semi-programming literate) but I still occasionally get custom requests... and I got one today. I can't do anything for my customer - it's a simple, small freebee for someone who has been a customer and friend since Clinton was in office :)

The path, lib, and include variables show the right values. Yet I get 'preprocessor: include file not found' hint: dcdialog.ch

PLEASE HELP!!! thanks.

Auge_Ohr

#6 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi Bruce,

we like to help but if Environment is ok ...

---

when use PBUILD you have a PROJECT.XPJ ( or other *.XPJ ) :?:
have a look into PROJECT.XPJ and "re-build" Project using Option /a
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

BruceN

#7 Post by BruceN »

My bad... I meant to say whether I use vx or xpp from a command line.

I have xpj files that worked on my old computer and get the preprocessor error on new one. Copied entire Alaska, exp19 and project files to new computer.

I've done this a few times in the past without issue. Using Alaska build 355 and express build 254. As I think about it, haven't complied on a win 10 computer previously. Was running win 7. Is there an issue with 10 and those versions???

Auge_Ohr

#8 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi Bruce,

Ok, next try

call again Dialogbox for Environment

DELETE C:\exp19
ADD NEW but do NOT type-in, use Button to "seek" and navigate to Folder
re-start Explorer or re-login
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

k-insis

#9 Post by k-insis »

@Bruce:

Just copy that .ch file into project directory and be done.

You are probably missing some ";" in path of includes or you have some weird file attribute on that directory or file that has those includes. Perhaps you are editing environemnt for admin account and not for your user account of system wide environement.

And for environment, edit simple batch file, like this, copied to .cmd:
(of course change directories to fit your installation)

@echo off
SET include=c:\alaska.2\xpp20\include;c:\alaska.2\EXPRESS\INCLUDE;c:\alaska.2\SXL;c:\alaska.2\xb2net;c:\alaska.2\frax;c:\alaska.2\ot4xb;
SET lib=c:\alaska.2\xpp20\lib;c:\alaska.2\EXPRESS\LIB;c:\alaska.2\SXL;c:\alaska.2\xb2net;c:\alaska.2\frax;c:\alaska.2\ot4xb;
set Path=%PATH%;c:\alaska.2\xpp20\bin;c:\alaska.2\xpp20\lib;c:\alaska.2\workbench20;c:\alaska.2\EXPRESS\bin20;c:\alaska.2\EXPRESS\bin;c:\alaska.2\SXL;c:\alaska.2\xb2net;c:\alaska.2\ot4xb;"c:\program files\notepad++";c:\apl\bash;
set xppresource=c:\alaska.2\xpp20\resource\pointer;c:\alaska.2\xpp20\resource\bitmap;c:\alaska.2\xpp20\resource\font;c:\alaska.2\xpp20\resource\icon;c:\alaska.2\xpp20\resource;
cmd

put it onto desktop and run

how hard can it be ?

Auge_Ohr wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:53 pm hi Bruce,

Ok, next try

call again Dialogbox for Environment

DELETE C:\exp19
ADD NEW but do NOT type-in, use Button to "seek" and navigate to Folder
re-start Explorer or re-login

BruceN

#10 Post by BruceN »

GOT IT!!!! It was something STUPID on my part (as I expected.)

System environment had include as c:\exp19\include. User environment had it as c:\exp19. changed to add 'include'; and it worked.

I'm a TERRIBLE proofreader... Nowadays I'd be called dyslexic (I look at a stop sign and sometimes it says 'pots' to me.) When I was a kid, that term didn't exist and kids weren't considered to have learning disabilities... you just worked harder. I learned to read what was supposed to be there not what I actually 'saw'. Only limitation was that I suck at proofing things :)

(I sometimes tell people that being dyslexic is so bad that sometimes I want to end it all by throwing myself BEHIND a bus...)

My wife is now a lawyer (started law school at age 50.) She used to ask me to proof her pleadings and memos... but gave up on that. I can help her with the legal arguments and logic, but proofing - not at all :)

Can't thank you all enough for the help..... As some of you know, I'm not really a programmer... I got forced into learning when my partner retired. I do pretty good with the programming logic (my background is engineering and physics,) but don't understand programming 'infrastructure' (for example, I have no idea what a '#pragma' means.) I get by by blocking and copying the framework and changing the guts :) Works, but is VERY inefficient.

Again, thanks for help....