The new ILX portal

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
Eugene Lutsenko
Location: Russia, Southern federal district, city of Krasnodar

The new ILX portal

#1 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

ILX is an acronym for "I Love Xbase++". In practice, the ILX portal will become the new hub for the global community if it comes to knowledge related to the Xbase++ platform.

ILX consists of Articles, Forums, and a Download Area. The Articles are split up into sections such as "How to," "Best practices," and "Guides and Intro ." The Forums currently have only the "Support Q&A" available, reflecting the latest technical support info.

Our next goal is to add existing content from previous conferences, including source code, to the ILX portal. We are also working to integrate the sign-on process of the ILX portal with the global SSO from Alaska Software, so our customers can log in with the same credentials at different places, and that ILX knows who you are and which product level you have. Based on that, other forums become automatically available depending on your product/subscription state.

Our ultimate goal is to make the ILX portal the one and only place to search for any knowledge related to Xbase++. You can search your support cases, the PDR database, and all the valuable knowledge in all articles and posts. So our vision is to create a single place for knowledge around the Xbase++ platform. Which finally makes you - our customer - more productive.

Just have a look right now and see by yourself:
https://ilx.alaska-software.com/index.php

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: The new ILX portal

#2 Post by rdonnay »

I have been asking for a better support forum than a NewsGroup for almost 20 years.

It looks like they finally have done it.

Years ago, Steffen said that it would be written in Xbase++.
My guess is that it is using CXP.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#3 Post by rdonnay »

I have been asking for a better support forum than a NewsGroup for almost 20 years.

It looks like they finally have done it.

Years ago, Steffen said that it would be written in Xbase++.
I am surprised that it is written in PHP instead of CXP.

Tom

#4 Post by Tom »

I'm happy they didn't waste their limited time with programming such a thing with CX/P. 8-)
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

unixkd

#5 Post by unixkd »

Code: Select all

This is a very pertinent question as by Roger. That was what came to my mind when I first visited the new portal.

Joe

unixkd

#6 Post by unixkd »

Hi Tom

Code: Select all

I'm happy they didn't waste their limited time with programming such a thing with CX/P.
Are you insinuating that PHP is better than CXP for web application development ?

Joe

rdonnay
Site Admin

#7 Post by rdonnay »

Are you insinuating that PHP is better than CXP for web application development ?
I like CXP because it is an Xbase++ language and, IMO, it is capable of handling the job.

I am not fond of PHP, however it is very popular and therefore may have been the best choice for the ILX portal because there are lots of PHP programmers.
If this portal resides on a cloud server, then PHP, MySql and Apache would be free, whereas CXP would require installation of Xbase++ and Windows.

Tom

#8 Post by Tom »

No. It is better to not develop something again which is already existing (except your name is Jimmy, then you have to reinvent the wheel again and again and again). I'm quite sure they bought something and/or have someone adapting existing software for the ILX platform.

And, yes, if your task is to create a dynamic web frontend, don't use Xbase++ and CX/P for that. Use Xbase++ and CX/P only if your backend needs to use that technique or if you don't know any other programming language.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Auge_Ohr

#9 Post by Auge_Ohr »

Tom,

it is better to go forward than to "stay" on what "other" have made.
you will not "learn" when BUY a Product, you have to build your own to understand how it work.

but what do i say to User who is Years behind while using "Old" Technique and 32 Bit App ...

@Joe

did you know the hole Story of CXP ... it was 2009 when Alaska was near at End ......
greetings by OHR
Jimmy