Is there a portable ADS with an ISAM interface?

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
Eugene Lutsenko
Location: Russia, Southern federal district, city of Krasnodar

Re: Is there a portable ADS with an ISAM interface?

#31 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

Tom wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:43 am ADSLOCAL needs no license, it comes for free with the (free) client kits (which are a little hard to get, since all downloads from SAP now use the "SAP ONE Support Launchpad"). And, no, SAP didn't stop supporting the ADS yet. They stopped the further development.
Hello, Everyone! I use local ADS. Thanks to your help, I just managed to make a program that works well with dbf files significantly larger than 4 GB (I checked up to 400 GB). However, the number of fields is not more than 2040. Thank you very much!

Tom

#32 Post by Tom »

so you want recommend to "Start" with a Software which will be not supported in Future ?
I don't recommend anything. I just corrected some information.

Besides, it would not be a "START", but a relatively simple DBE switch. Besides this, every software will "not be supported in the future", depending on how you define "future". I assume, Xbase++ will end when S.P. retires, and tons of tools will end earlier, like some of those you recommend to use. It's an advantage of the concepts Microsoft prefers that all those products will be useable for some additional years.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Eugene Lutsenko

#33 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

I use local ADS. I have no non - labor intensive options other than using ADS with DBF. After all, everything seems to be working. It is important to me that the size of the database in this case is practically unlimited, as I checked on my computer (both 40 GB and 400 GB). Well, with the fact that the fields are no more than 2040 (or 2035), apparently you will have to put up with it and live with it further.
Last edited by Eugene Lutsenko on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auge_Ohr

#34 Post by Auge_Ohr »

so you do not need to switch to SQL and must not use PgDBE
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Auge_Ohr

#36 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi Eugene,
Eugene Lutsenko wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 am Are these normal DBF files?
i have try to open your "big" DBF with DBU and it work
when GOBOTTOM FIELD NUMBRECORD is 0 ?
when try to "LOCATE NUMBRECORD = 0 DBU crash

DBU does show default only 128 FIELD(s)
but your "big" DBF have 2040 FIELD(s) why "Standard" work with 2038 :!:

---

when your DBF are NOT "compatible" any more all your "Tools" must be change

there is a Tool called OTIS
https://github.com/hansmarc/Otis

that Tool can handle your 400 GB DBF
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Eugene Lutsenko

#37 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

Thanks, Jimmy!

I didn't know about Otis. But Slobodan advised to use dbfview.exe . It also copes quite well with viewing a 400 GB dbf.

PS
I looked at Otis! He is, of course, good, cool!
Attachments
dbfview.zip
(653.26 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

Eugene Lutsenko

#38 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

hi! I have started finalizing and debugging the Eidos system with ADS. This version will be very different in many ways from the previous one. It seems like more in small things, but there will probably be a lot of them. Starting with the fact that it is necessary to change the names of some databases. It looks like ADS has some features of freeing files for copying, opening and closing databases. I fixed the previous project in working condition. Is there any publication in which all these pitfalls of the transition from classic dbfntx to them in ADS would already be described by someone who has already gone this way?

Eugene Lutsenko

#39 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

Hi! I'm slowly figuring it out. I found that a number of functions and programming techniques that worked fine without ADS do not work with it, i.e. either lead to an execution error at all, or give an incorrect result. The list of such functions is expanding and includes both Alaska and Express++ functions. We have to experiment and rewrite these functions so that they work with ADS enabled. Can someone tell me what the execution error means. But in general, everything is moving pretty fast.
Attachments
Безымянный.jpg
Безымянный.jpg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 4599 times

Eugene Lutsenko

#40 Post by Eugene Lutsenko »

How to index a database with the UNIQUE parameter when ADS is enabled? Found help for ADS. I'll figure it out... Unfortunately, I did not find detailed information on the use of indexes in the ISAM interface. In the meantime, an error occurs when trying to index with ADS enabled...

Code: Select all

*                   INDEX ON SUBSTR(FIELDGET(ff),1,256) TO Inp_tmp UNIQUE                         // Не работает в ADS <<<===################################
*                   INDEX ON SUBSTR(aFields [ff],1,256) TO Inp_tmp UNIQUE                         // Не работает в ADS
                    INDEX ON aFields[ff] TO Inp_tmp UNIQUE                                        // Не работает в ADS
Attachments
Безымянный2.jpg
Безымянный2.jpg (63.69 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
Безымянный.jpg
Безымянный.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
ADS_Help.zip
(8.89 MiB) Downloaded 186 times