Windows Server 8

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
omni

Windows Server 8

#1 Post by omni »

Roger,

I have installed our app on a Win Server 8 64 bit. It is really giving us headaches because it is not working very well for the user. We did not recommend it, but it was just installed last week.

First, we can compile (for testing,etc) but nothing will run if compiled on that computer. Gives a weird Alaska (190.331)error saying "Xbase development file has stopped working" and closes. If we copy over precompiled source it works fine on the server.

The work stations are very very slow opening our app. They say 10 minutes or longer. The server opens in 5-10 seconds, at the most.

In the past, I have always told users that it is hardware... switch, cabling, memory, server network card..one of those. Just want to be sure this is not a known issue with the server version and the 64 bit.

Any thoughts or recommendations from anybody is appreciated. I did have one user change from 64 bit to 32 bit when they had some issues, but it was only a few hours after installation.

Fred
Omni

Auge_Ohr

Re: Windows Server 8

#2 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,
I have installed our app on a Win Server 8 64 bit.
a.) v1.9.331 is NOT certificate for Vista / Win7 / Srv2008. -> upgrade to SL1 v1.9.355
"Xbase development file has stopped working"
b.) compile/link may Error PDR 6244
The work stations are very very slow opening our app.
c.) Win7 / Srv2008 use SMB2.
Did you SET Op´s Locking SMB2 Parameter ?

d.) if, on same Network, other Workstation have XP as OS() it will "downgrade" to SMB1
Did you SET Op´s Locking SMB1 Parameter ?

i recommend NOT to "mix" OS() with Srv2008, use Vista Sp1 / Win 7 ONLY !!!

e.) VISTA must have SP1

f.) "slow" USE or SET INDEX :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\SharingViolationDelay=0
(default:200)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\SharingViolationRetries=0
(default:5)

g.) "slow" DbAppend()/DbCommit()
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Parameters\DisableFlushOnCleanup = 1

h.) did you use "LongName" vs. 8.3 ? Kb844350 and Kb843418

i.) Antivirus ?

what about "other" Application ?
did you have Office 2003 or Office 2007/2010 ?
did you use MAPI ? if Outlook 2003 try it with Srv2008 ...

i could write much more while i "testdrive" since beta Version.

so go to your Administrator and ask him WHY he did "upgrade" to Srv2008 and if "he" have "testdrive" all your Application running on "old" Server ???
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Dian

#3 Post by Dian »

Fred,
Did you ever figure out why your application was loading slowly on a Windows 7 workstation with a Windows 2008 server?

We have a similar issue with one of clients, although we have the same computer configurations at many other clients that is working fine.
Dian

Auge_Ohr

#4 Post by Auge_Ohr »

Dian wrote:We have a similar issue with one of clients, although we have the same computer configurations at many other clients that is working fine.
while it is "one" PC and not all it is something wrong with "that" PC.

1st i would look at "Hardware" ... change Cable and if you have Network Card ( use a "extern" Network Card )
if you can not found a "Hardware" Problem i would recommend to install Win7 "fresh" ...
and than your Xbase++ Application ... nothing else.

if you still have Problem ... buy a new PC ;)
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Tom

#5 Post by Tom »

Run you app in "Windows XP compatibility mode".
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

omni

#6 Post by omni »

That was a temporary problem on the users network. I agree with what has been said, if its once work station its related to something on that single work station.

The client's hardware vendor, after some coaxing on the client's part, fixed the problem. In their case, it was everybody, and it was a server set up issue of some sort, or a hardware issue on the connection/switch.

Fred

Dian

#7 Post by Dian »

Thanks for the replys, we are still troubleshooting the problem at the clients. We installed the software on another windows 7 computer today and that was successful. So what we are trying to look at now is what could be causeing the delay. We can execute XDOT.exe and it will launch in about 1 minute, then the response when typing in a command is very delayed, 30 seconds or more for a character that was entered to appear on the command line. The weird thing is that copying data from the server to the workstation and back is fine.

The onsite IT is trouble shooting now, he is going to start stripping one of the window 7 computers to see if it is something that was installed on them. I will let you know if they find anything.

Dian

Dian

#8 Post by Dian »

Turned out the problem was Norton endpoint. We had set exclusions to not scan the program directories, and files and when that didn't help we turned it off. That didn't help either. They finally uninstalled it and the program responded normally. I suppose I shouldn't be surprized that turning it off didn't help, but I still try to believe what I am told.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Dian