xdot help file

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
Jeanne

xdot help file

#1 Post by Jeanne »

Is there an xdot help file somewhere? I seem to be missing this if in fact there is suppose to be one. When I run xdot, click on the Help and select Help Contents nothing happens at all..

Jeanne

rdonnay
Site Admin

Re: xdot help file

#2 Post by rdonnay »

It would take forever to write a help file for Xdot.

It would be nice to have it read the commands from all the .CH files that are loaded and produce a nice help database, but that would also be an intense amount of work.

Basically, the interpreter in Xdot will run any command that is in STD.CH, DCSTD.CH, DCDIALOG.CH and DCCUSTOM.CH and any command that is in any CH file included in those files. It will also respect any translates or defines.

It will also run any function in any of the DC*.DLLs and the Xbase++ DLLs and any class.

So that means that thousands of commands and functions and classes would need to be documented.
It will also run any function in your application, if you are calling DC_Dot() from inside your app.

I have long wanted to improve the docs on this but never find the time.

You need to remember that DCSTD.CH is loaded before STD.CH so commands in DCSTD.CH override any that are in STD.CH.
This is why you get different behavior on commands like USE, PACK, SKIP, etc.

Maybe that's what I should put on the screen when you click on help.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Jeanne

#3 Post by Jeanne »

Ok I see... no biggie. Thanks Jeanne

skiman

#4 Post by skiman »

Hi Jeanne,

I still have an old Cli**er book of Rick Spence. Everything in it will work in xdot. :P

Every function will work, as far as I know also your own user defined functions which are compiled with your application will work. So a manual would be endless.

Regards,

Chris.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be