Xbase++ Deployment on Large network

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
unixkd

Xbase++ Deployment on Large network

#1 Post by unixkd »

Hi All

I am working on a project that will involve a LAN/WAN (ADS Client/Server)with over 200 workstations.

I currently use a program called MOLEBOX virtualisation to combine all my runtime (.dll, .ocx, etc ) to produce a SINGLE executable file (.EXE). I do not want to deploy this .exe on every workstation that will make update very cumbersome and time consumming. On smaller LAN deployment, what I do is to put both the data folder and Runtime folder on the server and then create a shortcut of the executable on the workstation. Iam thinking of creating a very small Client program which I can deploy on workstations. The tin client program will just invoke the main exe from the server. Any idea on how to do this ? Other better deployment ideas will equally be welcome.

Thanks.

Joe

Cliff Wiernik

Re: Xbase++ Deployment on Large network

#2 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

Note, that Alaska suggests that the program be loaded on the local workstation to avoid fatal errors from occurring when the application swaps out code to the swap file and has a difficulty in reloading it from the network.

As for doing what you want. We normally have kept our program on the server and run it from there. However, to run it from the workstation, we have a batch file that detects if a new program version exists and copies it to the workstation directory and then runs it from there. The batch file is loaded on the server. We have also an environment where the program changes frequently so we have a rotating directory of program versions to allow changes to occur during the day when people are in the software. Obviously we control the process so we can do live type updates.

Cliff.

Tom

#3 Post by Tom »

As Cliff said. Besides, it may cause tremendous network traffic to load all runtime files from a network server everytime an app is started. You may also fail when using ActiveX components located there.
We do the same thing Cliff does. Updates are automatically copied to a network folder if an update is installed on a workstation (on any workstation). If an instance of the app is started and finds a newer version on the server, it calls a small EXE (not created with Xbase++), which copies all necessary files from the server, the app quits and is restarted by the small tool. We do not use batch files, since they are very hard to control.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

unixkd

#4 Post by unixkd »

Hi Tom

Can you please share the small exe with us or does it require fee.

Thanks.

Joe

Tom

#5 Post by Tom »

Hi, Joe.

This small tool is very much customized, so useless for you.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Wolfgang Ciriack

#6 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

If my app finds a newer version, I quit the app and run a very small Innosetup-exe, which copy the disired files from the server to the client and then starts my updated app.

Cliff Wiernik

#7 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

What language is the small tool developed in. I can replicate what I do in my batch files using the small tool. Especially how you restart your main application. Or just the tool and the basic concepts. I use to have a small tool way back in the DOS days, but have not kept up with what would be a similar windows tool.

skiman

#8 Post by skiman »

Hi
Wolfgang Ciriack wrote:If my app finds a newer version, I quit the app and run a very small Innosetup-exe, which copy the disired files from the server to the client and then starts my updated app.
So the Innosetup-exe doesn't contain the files, but is copying external files? I'm using Innosetup for years, but I wasn't aware of this possibility.

Just checked it, I see in the file copy that this can be external files. How do you define the source? This isn't always the same for each station and surely not on every network.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

omni

#9 Post by omni »

Hi all,

I have thought about doing what you are suggesting, but my issue is data files. Many of our updates involved changes/additions to fields on main data files and/or indexes. For us this requires all users exiting and copying in new app versions and updating data bases, which we have a program to do that part.

We still run everything off the server with minimal problems and just use shortcuts.

Fred
Omni

Wolfgang Ciriack

#10 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

How do you define the source? This isn't always the same for each station and surely not on every network.
My installation do a registry entry with the path to the installation directory.
In Inno i read this key and set the src directory with it.
So i can simply copy the files from {src}\....