PGDBE yearly licence?

Xbase++ 2.0 Build 554 or later
skiman

PGDBE yearly licence?

#1 Post by skiman »

Hi,

This morning I saw on the Alaska site there is a yearly licence cost for the use of PGDBE. This is the first time I read something about this.
https://www.alaska-software.com/product ... t-list.cxp
Is this new?

I was planning to start/make the migation this summer, but if I would implement PGSQL for all my customers this would be a cost of about 20.000 euro/year. :o :-(

Seems as I will have time for another project.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

skiman

Re: PGDBE yearly licence?

#2 Post by skiman »

Meanwhile I saw this is a new policy which will start from 1 July.
https://www.alaska-software.com/product ... -qanda.cxp
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Tom

#3 Post by Tom »

Hi, Chris.

Steffen started talking about this two years ago, and he had some direct talks to software developers about this; one of those was me. He explained that the PGDBE was and is very expensive, and they even had and have to invest more money to get it working perfectly. So he asked about what we do think about a licensing model. Since this is ways cheaper than everything any company running the ADS every billed us, I replied that this would be okay for us. We sold the ADS, now we sell the PGDBE. I don't know how this will work technically, but for me/for us, it sounds quite fair.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

skiman

#4 Post by skiman »

Hi Tom,

It makes it necessary to support multiple DBE's. I know you have done this. But now this is essential since not all the customers will like to pay for a yearly licence.
I don't know how this will work technically, but for me/for us, it sounds quite fair.
It's the technical aspect that will be very important. Besides the extra administration for the invoicing of yearly subscriptions, it should be some auto-update/renew process. Otherwise this will be time consuming for the support.

The 29 euro/user a year sounds quite fair, but it makes a large amount a year for all our customers.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Tom

#5 Post by Tom »

Hi, Chris.

We support a file-based DBE without any server engine (DBFCDX), we support the ADSDBE and the PGDBE at some customer sites as a "very late beta", since there are still some issues left. We don't plan to establish the PGDBE as the standard, not for now. Running a PostGres-Server needs some kind of administration, backups need to be re-installed and maintaining data is a little more complicated for my support guys. Anyway, we intend to put the money for the license on top of the service fee we get from our customers. Calculated on a monthly base, it's not much. And we don't pay it for out customers - they pay it (and a little on top for us).
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

Auge_Ohr

#6 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi Chris,

did you remember that i told you "this" Scenario 10 Years ago ...
Alaska want YOU to pay for Subscription for YEARS to get PGDBE and NOW you have to "pay" to use it ...

that why i have change to "native" PostgreSQL Solution or ADO for MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SQLite or Excel
greetings by OHR
Jimmy