XBASE++ 2020: HAS XBASE++ REACHED THE END ?

Xbase++ 2.0 Build 554 or later
Victorio

Re: XBASE++ 2020: HAS XBASE++ REACHED THE END ?

#11 Post by Victorio »

Hi,
I start programming in CA Clipper in 1993, and several years looks, this is good tool for my programs. But users want Windows apps with GUI, than I saw no perspective work in it. When I found CA Visual objects 1.0 looks this can be solution, but was very difficult to understand how create some program it. Also I bought CA VO, but stay only big box with many books in my wardrobe ;)
After some years pause I found Alaska Xbase but this looks expencive for me. Interesting was that X++ understand CA Clipper code (true is that from my old source stay very small part ) . In 2014, I still decided to buy it and after one year I had back my investment 2x :dance:
I see in it good tool, because with compare with Visual Foxpro applications which still running on office for what I create application Xbase++ have better performance and speed processing.
However I use only very small part of xbase++, express++ abilities, now users want WEB applications and sometimes I think not perspective to work on it.
But because I am lazy to learn Java, C#,... languages , still want squeeze out some money from my old unpromising applications :lol:

Be healthy and let us meet again in the New Year in these endless discussions :P

Viktor

rdonnay
Site Admin

#12 Post by rdonnay »

compare to FiveWin or MOD_harbour Alaska is 10 Years behind Antonio
Why are you always on this forum?
Does Harbour have a forum?
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

Auge_Ohr

#13 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,
SbDrakos wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:45 pm If I have my facts correct, Xbase++ was started in 1997 and Harbour in 1999.
FiveWin started as an add-on product not a standalone Xbase++ language product so it doesn't really qualify.
i did not say that harbour was before Xbase++ .
i say that QT LIB from Nokia was create before and it is "amazing" how "similar" the concepts are.

---

FiveWin was like Classy a Addon for Cl*pper.
at that Time we also had OS/2 but not long time so Alaska have to switch to Windows
SbDrakos wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:45 pm There is an enormous user base of FoxPro programmers and thousands of FoxPro programs still in use today.
Yet FoxPro hasn't been supported for years.
Is FoxPro dead?
about FoxPro User : have a look here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N72UmodtOvo

there are a lot Contribution which FoxPro User have written.

harbour is "just" a "Tranpiler" which can used with almost all xBase Dialect

---

why i write it :?: why is Joe asking :?:
it is the "lost time" when wait for a Miracle ... and (Life) Time is running

p.s. you will find a lot of harbour Groups depend on Contribution
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

sdenjupol148

#14 Post by sdenjupol148 »

Jimmy,

Exactly what is the miracle you are waiting for or referring to?
I get the sense that both you and Joe are saying you can't go on without something.
Haven't you both already created software for clients that work?
Will that software become useless soon?

I understand that programmers seem to think more and more that all software should run on a virtual server through the web.
I disagree strongly with that assessment because some applications are better suited to a desktop environment.
But if the current state of Xbase++ coupled with CXP and a few other tools can't give you what you want, then follow what suits you.

I guess the ideal situation would be to have a language where you set a switch and have it work on the web, desktop, Linux or any other platform you can think of without having to learn any new concepts.
I however am more old school.
I don't think that makes you a better programmer; I believe it confines you and makes you very dependent.
Learning new tools builds your skill set and enhances your product and your design ability.
But if you find a better haven in Harbour, then you have what you need; great.

Good luck to you.

slobodan1949

#15 Post by slobodan1949 »

Xbase++, Harbour, FiveWin, FoxPro, Clipper, Python...

"In the hands of Mandusic Vuk, every rifle will be deadly"

Of all the Montenegrin heroes from Gorski vijenac, Vuk Mandusic is the richest in internal contradictions. In his character, Petar Petrović Njegoš painted a typical Montenegrin hero, but who is a man of flesh and blood, and not just "of weapons". Heroism, madness, capriciousness, secret love for a married woman and boyishly sincere love for dear things are intertwined in it.

Auge_Ohr

#16 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,

is Cl*pper "dead" :?: My Cl*pper App are is still working
but did you use Cl*pper for new Project :?:

i guess you did not use it while it have a Limit so you change Compiler/Linker and LIBs and work with Xbase++

---

Xbase v1.9 still work under Windows 10 Insider so next Year it seems safe
but i got to Limit with Xbase++ so it is time to think about Future.

it will not help me to pay Subscription and "wait" until Alaska present there next Step sometime in the future which other already have done Years before. they have work 8 Year on PostgreSQL but you need Xbase++ v.2x while other Apps can´t access same Table without corrupt Index. for my Customer a Solution like this is not accept. they want to use PostgreSQL but share it with other Apps

People who follow Alaska become more and more dependent from Alaska

---

People who is writing on own Project have not no other competitors.
but when you have to "fight" with "C" Programmer Xbase++ is not a Sharp "Weapon". most LIB are written in "C" but it is hard to access them from Xbase++

not 64 Bit so you are limited to 2 GB using 32 Bit.
no "full" Unicode
no Codepage for DBF to use Russian or Chines Sign
RDD for almost all Database (DBF, SQL) … except PostgreSQL
VM can use MT with more than 1 x Core of CPU ( seems Graphic is redirect to other CPU Core. Will NOT speed up DB Command like SKIP)
About 400 % faster when using “C” ( transpiled by harbour from xbase Code )
EXE include VM and “Runtime” so no external DLL are need (you can build separate DLL)
implement "C" Code direct in *.PRG

----

Yes i have dome some Project this Year. look at https://github.com/AugeOhr/HBFM
Xbase++ User can´t image what is possible when not look what is "outside" Xbase++ World

but you can´t BUY it, your have to learn it and build you own from what you have learn.
so think about it for next Year and stay alive
greetings by OHR
Jimmy