Loading ADS in 2.0

Xbase++ 2.0 Build 554 or later
omni

Re: Loading ADS in 2.0

#11 Post by omni »

Wow. been trying for a week to talk or email anybody at Alaska, and get nothing. Even when I am trying to upgrade. Resending request to talk to them every day via email and voice message. Need about 30 seconds with anybody...

Can you give me the dates and sizes of your ads dll files. Just wondering if mine are the same.

Thanks

Fred

rdonnay
Site Admin

#12 Post by rdonnay »

It appears that this is too complicated to work out over the phone.

I doubt that there is anything wrong with your ADSDBE.DLL.

I can work with you on this at my normal consulting rate.

I would need to connect to your computer via TeamViewer and talk to you on the phone.

I doubt that it will take more than 1 hour to figure out your problems.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

omni

#13 Post by omni »

That works for me. Just let me know a good time. i am on Eastern, so a couple hours difference

Thanks

rdonnay
Site Admin

#14 Post by rdonnay »

Let's go for 9 am MDT.

Call me on my landline. 208-344-0108

Cliff Wiernik

#15 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

Did you replace the ace32.dll and axcws.dll in the Xbase++ 2.0 folders under program files (x86)\alaska software\xpp20. These are old files and I had problems with them working properly until I remembered to replace them again.

omni

#16 Post by omni »

Roger, will do. I will call you then. I have teamviewer.

But,

do not want to waste time if the following is the issue.

Using 64-bit. ADS has ace64.dll, no ace32.dll. Having ace64.dll in folder and not ace32.dll the app will not load at all. if i put ace32.dll in the folder it does load, but does not work right.
The version of xbase I have is one from the conference, probably not the final, which has the adsdbe. But it is the foundation version.

Also testing using 32 bit in another folder, but it does the same thing as far as not working right.

It may be that what i have is incomplete. Did talk to Alaska this morning. They said I need the Professional version. No other option

Fred

omni

#17 Post by omni »

Downloaded arc32 and ran it yesterday.

Noticed on testing that if you are doing a seek and have the wrong index open (ie, wrong data type) it gives an error. Alaska does not do that..the seek just fails. Dbase and foxpro both also give errors. (as Alaska should)

Fred

Cliff Wiernik

#18 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

On a 64 bit machine, you can load the 32 or 64 bit version of the ADS server. You should generally use the 64bit versions as it can handle more memory. However, for the Xbase++ application, you need to be using the adsdbe.dll from Alaska for 2.0, and the version of the ace32.dll and axcws32.dll that matches the version of the ADS server you have installed. For testing, I would put those in your programs exe/dll folder so you know these are the ones being loaded. I am using the ones reported by adsver.exe as 11.10.0.10.

If you want to test, I have a utility that I could zip up with the Xbase++ runtime, that you can use instead of xdot from Express++ or ARC32 to use a file and see if you get a connection. That would at least validate it is working.

Why don't you post your directly listing of the adsdbe.dll, ace32.dll, axcws32.dll, your dbesys.prg and your ads.ini file that you are using so we can see what is happening.

Cliff

rdonnay
Site Admin

#19 Post by rdonnay »

Noticed on testing that if you are doing a seek and have the wrong index open (ie, wrong data type) it gives an error. Alaska does not do that..the seek just fails.
That is the correct behavior for Xbase++. It has always done that.

To be sure you are using the correct index, pass the index tag as the 3rd parameter to dbSeek().

lFound := MYFILE->(dbSeek('something',,'MYINDEXTAG'))

** I corrected my post thanks to Wolfgang **

Wolfgang Ciriack

#20 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

I think, it must be the third parameter, the second is for softseek.