Loading ADS in 2.0

Xbase++ 2.0 Build 554 or later
omni

Loading ADS in 2.0

#1 Post by omni »

Roger,

This is our first try loading client server in 2.0. i initially used the code used years ago and it does load, shows initial connection to the ads server in viewing the control panel on the server, but only show the files open (max files open) as 4. None open when I open a menu option.
The drive letter is a mapped drive, so need to ask if that is the problem. The ads server is on loca c-drive on server
and running fine. Just not doing anything. Apparently loads the files on the start up but nothing on the menu items that open.

I tried using instead your dbssys and it errored out on line 34 where the dbeload is. Fatal error so no idea why.

I have not done anything on the ads server except start it with the trial version setting for 5 users.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I am sure its something simple...
A little update. I added your dbeload at the top before main, and then removed my Alaska load to cdx,etc.

Started 3 sessions an they all show active on the server SAP configuration screen , but nothing open, and max files used as 4. Very confusing since there are probably 100 open and max files used is more than 4. No idea where 4 comes from.

Either I am not understanding what it is saying, or its handling the session start but not controlling the files. Something in my set up??

Thanks

fred
Omni

omni

Re: Loading ADS in 2.0

#2 Post by omni »

Roger,

I set up a test menu just connecting and opening 5 files with indexes right after connecitng with ads and an alert to stop there. Same thing.
1 file, 1 index and always shows 2 connections, which is odd. Always says the same thing, either 1 or none and 4 max.
This is just running local so it will be easier to test.

Driving me crazy. (its a short trip)

Fred

rdonnay
Site Admin

#3 Post by rdonnay »

I tried using instead your dbssys and it errored out on line 34 where the dbeload is. Fatal error so no idea why.
Do you have the professional version of Xbase++?

You need this for ADS. The ADSDBE.DLL is included.

What DBESYS of mine are you referring to?
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

omni

#4 Post by omni »

I got whatever version when at the meeting. The dll is included and it does load. The error was because the xbase cdx,dbf was already loaded, so I have do remark that out.
So the app is running fine using just the drivers loaded on the dbesys, but not doing anything with files or locks.
My cd says Foundation, so think this is just a sample one?

rdonnay
Site Admin

#5 Post by rdonnay »

So the app is running fine using just the drivers loaded on the dbesys, but not doing anything with files or locks.
I don't understand what you mean by files and locks.

My cd says Foundation, so think this is just a sample one?
I am guessing that is true.

omni

#6 Post by omni »

Advantage Configuration Utility to view what is going on.

On database tab it has, going down the first column, ...connections, work areas, tables, index files, data locks and worker threads.

Under current it is mostly zero, and max used is just above that.

rdonnay
Site Admin

#7 Post by rdonnay »

Have you dbeSetDefault('ADSDBE') ?

I suspect that you are opening your files with another DBE.

You can determine this by pressing Alt-D to get to DC_Dot(). It will show you which DBE is being used in each work area.

omni

#8 Post by omni »

Had that turned off, so remarked out the dchotkey(0) and tried it and got an error that said no source file defined in dcgetoptions. Will wtf with some sort of command work?
Never mind on that. Did an alert to display and it says adsdbe is the dbe engine. If I do not have the ADS server up it will not load at all.
The configuration shows 1 user, 2 connections and 1 file. When i do this alert there are 5 files open..just a test.

If I open a menu option (added an alert there also) still show adsdbe being used. The configuration utility on ADS server shows no work areas or anything open. If I stop the service on ADS server the menu still works and still shows adsdbe being used.

So it appears to be used for loading the fox drivers but not handling the files. I have not done anything at all on the set up for ADS, thought it was automatic for files on my c-drive once I load it. Kind of lost.

Fred

Wolfgang Ciriack

#9 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

Did you start your menu actions in different threads ?
If so, you must set the default DBE in every thread.

omni

#10 Post by omni »

Its always showing that the proper dbe is loaded, but not handling anything. Once connected if the server is stopped it still works.

I am trying to talk to somebody at Alaska. Their web site does state that the professional version includes the access to the Advantage Database Server. My foundation has the dll files, but appears it is incomplete.

Fred